Best way to repair this leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We live an old Edwardian property that was converted into four flats many years ago. Myself & the owner of the ground floor flat have an outside tap each (The gardens are quite big, so these taps are freestanding, i.e. not mounted to the main building or anything). The single main that feeds both these taps has a hairline crack/split approx 100mm long in it under my neighbour's decking (see photos).

I assume the best thing to do would be to rip up all the decking, re-dig the trench & lay a new main - but you're talking at least 20m of trench (10m of which would be under decking). I've offered to split the cost with my neighbour, but he's not particularly interested in paying hundreds on an outside tap he doesn't use that regularly, which is fair enough I suppose...

Is there an in-situ repair I can do here? I think the pipe is iron/steel & as you can see from the photo, it's pretty lumpy & corroded!

Thanks, Ben.

1A296790-D9E3-465E-BC90-6B6A14F00611.jpg

4F5C3F82-B2A2-4CEA-857C-4E9650DAAAAE.jpg

FE00059B-7A17-4E3A-9AA3-3D126B9014D3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well if you all want to live with outdated and unreliable plumbing then thats what you are going to do.

For a start mains pipes outdoors should be 750 mm minimum below ground to reduce freezing problems.

In the meantime there are bodge repair kits which clamp a bit of rubber against the leak.

Or you could even save the cost of that and use a cuple of jubilee clips and a bit of old inner tube!

Tony

As above but I rather replace it with mdpe pipe as there may be more leak as it look too corroded.

Could it be reroute a different way or abandon it and fit an outside tap on main building and use long hosepipe for watering?

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
As agile has said I think you would be better off replacing all of it now, must consider
what the rest is like, especially if frost gets hold of it. It would only cost more money in the future . I suppose it's a risk for you to decide what to do ??
paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back