Advice re decking or paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

We're looking at getting our back garden ready for a few bbqs, at present it's a real mess as the previous owners seemed to lose interest after building an extension. Nothing is flat or square, and there's manholes etc protruding, the area under the patio doors is concrete on quite a slope away from the building and the rest has a combination of some odd paving and stones simply laid on mud.

We're hoping simply to cover the worst of it over with something more pleasant to sit out on.

I'm not sure whether it would be best to fit a deck on a raised frame, with raised beds round the edge and properly laid shingle/gravel down the side of the extension, or simply to lay some patio stones and build up a small frame to take the slope into account.

There are a few drains, drainpipes, ventilation bricks on the extension etc that we need to take into account, as the patio would need to cover all drain covers but leave space for the drain pipe and ventilation. I suspect decking might be easier for this.

A slight complication is that we fitted a shed on a paved base on some screed (done as soon as we moved in as an emergency measure to get the bikes etc out of the house) but the shed doors would impinge upon decking - the shed base is not raised very far at all, and the doors would open over the planned deck/patio but the decking is likely to be too high. It's a bit hard to explain, so I attach some photos.

As you can see, it's all quite untidy at present but is (thankfully) only a small space.

Advice on best ways to proceed would be appreciated - for context, t he garden is on an L-shape with the extension taking up most of the space, the photos show the arm of the L towards the main house, facing the extension, facing along the extension, and a closeup of the shed base to show the slope and the state of the surface (plus state of our dodgy rushed paint job!)

Apols for quality, sun is really bright and can't avoid glare, can take some more in less direct sunlight. Apols also for clutter, we'll be fitting a small shed under the kitchen window (on side of extension) to clear way all the furniture - this will almost certainly be on some paving slabs as per bike shed. Obviously happy to clarify any points or take any additional photos.

All advice greatly appreciated

Cheers
Matt

facing_patio_doors.JPG shed_Detail.JPG side_of_extension.JPG facing_along_extension.JPG

Sponsored Links
Happy to help, but we need to know what it is you wish to know :)

You'll struggle to get a deck that lies at or below the level of your patio door threshold as you have the depth of the joists plus that of the deck boards, ie 7" if you use the preferred 6x2 option for joists.

Ta for reply

I'm really just looking to figure what's the best way forward in terms of either decking or patio, and ideally any of the pratfalls to look out for. I appreciate it's a bit nebulous, but keen not to start off in wrong direction!

In terms of clearance, the lip of the patio door is about 6 1/4", could I go a bit shallower on the joists given that the run will only be quite short (between 3.8 and 4m, depending upon how much raised bedding we leave at end)?

Sponsored Links
If you go with decking you could use 4x2 joists, except you'll need to add more support to stop it being bouncy.

Still not sure what else you want to know......

I've had decking for 20 years in various gardens and have never detected a rat..maybe we dont drop too much food!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back