Boiler suggestions for large two bed Edwardian Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering my options for a new boiler for a large two bedroomed first floor Edwardian flat.

Currently there are 8 Rads, 4 large single glazed (probably to be changed to dbl glazed sash windows in the main living room and bedroom) and about 6 metres of dbl glazed sash windows in the kitchen. There is one ensuite and one small bathroom.

Outside walls are solid construction, ceiling height is up to 2.9m.

The current boiler is a Barlo Balmoral 55F. It is situated on an outside wall venting rearwards through a 25cm ish of brick. Its small enough to be contained under the worktop.

I believe it to be functioning correctly, although I'm sure its not as efficient as the modern boilers. I'm about 95% sure my existing system is Indirect.

I'd like to fit a decent shower in the ensuite wetroom. I'd like the boiler to remain "hidden" under the kitchen worktop. The kitchen is a strange shape as was once a balcony I believe and only has exterior walls up to waist height, the windows on top.

I am getting a plumber in tomorrow to see what he thinks, but thought I would see if any of you can offer some boiler/plumbing suggestions/options so I can bounce ideas off the plumber tomorrow.

Many thanks.

<edit> Forgot to mention, Mains kitchen tap flow is 20l/min, I think the boiler currently has a 15mm incoming gas feed :(

Sponsored Links
Virtually no boilers will fit under a work surface and still give adequate maintenance access!

An unvented cylinder sounds a good idea though if your mains supply is adequate.

You have not said the most important thing of how many people live there and if you want both bathrooms to be able to work together.

Many people just dont understand how what they see as simple requests can double the cost!

Tony

Currently just m'lonesome (gf lives in Norway).

If I were to sell the flat I would imagine it being bought by a couple. I plan to rent it out and expect it to be occupied by 2 sharers with the occasional "guest".

I don't think I can foresee many occasions when the bath would be used at the same time as the ensuite shower. More probably is the sink in the "main" bathroom and the shower on at the same time.

The only boiler that I can think of that may stand a chance of fitting under the worktop is the Glow Worm Flexicom with the rear flue option.

Personally I wouldn't fit one of these for anyone and would look for another 'site' to install the boiler and get a decent make such as ATAG, Vaillant or if money is a bit tight, the slightly lesser quality Broag.

I would have thought that a 31Kw would cope with normal HW use in your situation.

Sponsored Links
The only boiler that I can think of that may stand a chance of fitting under the worktop is the Glow Worm Flexicom with the rear flue option.

Personally I wouldn't fit one of these for anyone and would look for another 'site' to install the boiler and get a decent make such as ATAG, Vaillant or if money is a bit tight, the slightly lesser quality Broag.

How can you mention Gl&%%(m and Atag in the same post! I'd personally fit an Atag under the worktop *cough* and would be happy to quote if theres a decent enough B&B nearby.

Heres one I did about 2 years ago and off to do a second service on it next week!
atagundercounter.jpg

Where can I find the clearances required for the Atag boilers? I don't seem to be able to find them on the specifications shown on the Atag website :(

Heres one I did about 2 years ago and off to do a second service on it next week!

I am a little confused about that photo !

Presumably there are "connections" to the boiler under the floor level?

How do you get to those connections and where does the manufacturers presumed clearance of 200 mm under the boiler start and finish?

Tony

How do you get to the bottom 2 case clips and remove the screws from them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back