Best way to repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

When we built our flat roofed extension there was a bit of a cock up with the roof lantern, the builder built the upstand on top of the firrings, and when I fitted the lantern I didn't check it was level and as such the roof lantern is on a slope as pictured

IMG_20221006_111821.jpg

I'll be removing the roof lantern to fix it as I'm not living with it long term because as soon as I board upto it it will be obvious just how far out of square it is.

The flat roof is covered in epdm which is ran up and over the upstand as you'd expect, to level the lantern I'm going to fit another couple of firrings running the opposite way, this will then leave me with the levelling bits exposed, what's the best way to cover them, I've seen you can get epdm repair kits but they seem for small cuts and damage not something as big as this lantern upstand.

Could I use flash band tape laid over the top lip of the upstand then folded over the side and stuck to the epdm? It would only be a couple of inches overhang on the upstand and the lantern has a big upvc cill that hangs over the upstand so it would only be a small amount of driving rain in the right direction that could get at the repair.

Sponsored Links
Would it really be worth taking apart all that hard work and good roofing to try and install what sounds like a bit of a bodge repair to the roof for the sake of the level? I can't see that it would ever be an issue as a lot of flat roof windows are installed parallel to a roof slope

In short yes, I'm not spending the next 40 years looking at the lantern being on the **** it annoys the hell out of me, if any of the roofers on here say I really need to get a small amount of epdm gear to effect a proper repair then that's what I'll do, I just wondered if there was an alternative and flash band was the first thing I thought of.

Ideally there would have been a lead flashing over the upstand and draped 150mm or so over the EPDM. Fitting one now would be preferred

You could fit DPC and uPVC cover strip, as this will be protected by the cill.

You can buy narrow rolls of EPDM.

Sponsored Links
Get a narrow roll of the same EDPM as you have, and then fix it with contact adhesive, and a bit of the approved silicone around the entire perimeter of the repair.

Hopefully you can identify the original brand, to ensure compatibility, although most adhesives for EDPM would probably work,

you could just run some roofing membrane down and cover with metal flashing or lead.

eg
1665155563401.png

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
For those interested I sorted this today,

IMG_20221025_151031.jpg

IMG_20221025_172247.jpg

IMG_20221025_184843.jpg

Removed the lantern, cut the 50mm strip of epdm that was on top of lantern, made and glued down appropriate firrings to get it level, covered new woodwork in flashband down onto the epdm then silicone and screwed on metal flashing covering it all before refitting the lantern again.

In short yes, I'm not spending the next 40 years looking at the lantern being on the **** it annoys the hell out of me, if any of the roofers on here say I really need to get a small amount of epdm gear to effect a proper repair then that's what I'll do, I just wondered if there was an alternative and flash band was the first thing I thought of.
Lol. you'll be lucky if that lasts 10yrs

Any reason why? I can't see how rain can get up and under the metal flashing from the bottom which has sealant on both flanges and it's 90mm from the bottom of the flashing to the top of the upstand.

The cill for the lantern has a 100mm or so overhang from the upstand and is sealed to the upstand with a constant bead all the way around the join between cill and metal flashing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back