LED strip lighting inside roof lantern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having an extension built that is going to contain a 4 x 2m roof lantern. I am looking to have LED strip lights installed inside the roof lantern.

I have read that it is best not to have the LED lights upwards towards the glass of the lantern. One option is to have coving fitted inside the upstand (but towards the bottom of the upstand) where the coving has a lip for the LED strip lighting to fit against. Screwfix sell such coving https://www.screwfix.com/p/led-lighting-coving-58mm-x-2m-5-pack/750gk

Would this be the best option or is there a better way for having LED strip lighting in a roof lantern that can be controlled remotely?

Sponsored Links
Surely with coving you link to the LEDs are still pointing at the glass but you say you don't want that?
Would this be better fixed as ring round the upstand either top or bottom and with the LEDs shine inwards to the middle of the lantern aperture

Thanks for the reply @Sureitsoff? With the coving, it has a lip so when the lights are fitted on the coving, the light points towards the wall, not upwards towards the glass.

The other option is having a profile that is plastered along the 4 walls of the roof lantern so that the light on each of the 4 sides shines towards the middle. However, I am not sure how effective this would look as opposed to the light shinning against each wall and glowing out.

Any thoughts?

If you are not after RGBW LED strips and are happy with white, COB strips are now available. Example here:
Because there are many more, smaller LEDs on the strip, the lighting is more or less continuous; there is less need for diffusers, and even if the strip was facing upwards to the lantern, the effect would be more subdued - you wouldn't see the reflections from individual LEDs.
Maybe something to consider? :)

Sponsored Links
If you are not after RGBW LED strips and are happy with white, COB strips are now available. Example here:
Because there are many more, smaller LEDs on the strip, the lighting is more or less continuous; there is less need for diffusers, and even if the strip was facing upwards to the lantern, the effect would be more subdued - you wouldn't see the reflections from individual LEDs.
that led tape you linked is listed at 15.8W yet the spec sheet says 4.6-6W/M so a lot more than 15.8

Thanks for the reply @Sureitsoff? With the coving, it has a lip so when the lights are fitted on the coving, the light points towards the wall, not upwards towards the glass.

The other option is having a profile that is plastered along the 4 walls of the roof lantern so that the light on each of the 4 sides shines towards the middle. However, I am not sure how effective this would look as opposed to the light shinning against each wall and glowing out.

Any thoughts?
As long as the lip is wide enough to fix the led strip to.

that led tape you linked is listed at 15.8W yet the spec sheet says 4.6-6W/M so a lot more than 15.8
Interesting, I hadn't checked the datasheet.
Although, as with all my LED strip installations, I would recommend a remote on/off dimmer module (along with a decent, slightly over-spec'd driver!)
I find the strips are far too bright otherwise! :)

Last edited:
thanks @RandomGrinch. I am after RGBW strip light, something very much like this https://litewave.co.uk/prod_cat/P_roof-lantern-lighting-kit-with-professional-led-strip_461.html

It was this company, selling these LED strip lights, to install the coving from Screwfix. The strip would be positioned on the lip of the coving facing against the wall. It would mean that a frosted deffuser would not be needed, and with the sides of the LEDs facing the glass, any reflections will be minimised.

If I did not use such coving, I assume the other option would be to extend the plasterboard at the bottom of the upstand, and for the LED strips to be fited onto this extended plasterboard so that the LED lights are facing upwards towards the glass. This would mean frosted diffuser strips would be needed to minimise the glare on the glass. Would this be an option?

I will be looking to have a controller fitted so that I can dim the lights as well as having the ability to change the colour of the lights.

Would something like this from Litewave be suitable? https://litewave.co.uk/prod_cat/P_roof-lantern-lighting-kit-with-professional-led-strip_461.html

I am having an extension built that is going to contain a 4 x 2m roof lantern. I am looking to have LED strip lights installed inside the roof lantern.

I have read that it is best not to have the LED lights upwards towards the glass of the lantern. One option is to have coving fitted inside the upstand (but towards the bottom of the upstand) where the coving has a lip for the LED strip lighting to fit against. Screwfix sell such coving https://www.screwfix.com/p/led-lighting-coving-58mm-x-2m-5-pack/750gk

Would this be the best option or is there a better way for having LED strip lighting in a roof lantern that can be controlled remotely?

Ive designed and built these for customers

the neatest solution is where the lantern opening meets the internal ceiling -run a batten around flush to the bottom and add a strip of wood to the face of that batten forming a rebate.

the ceiling plastering can then be run right across the batten and upwards finishing to a bead stop

in the formed rebate -fit the led strip

yes if it can be angle to the wall that helps reduce reflection but because its not up near the lantern its less likely to suffer reflection

dont put the led just below the lantern -that will create reflections

From what I can see the controller looks fine.
If I did not use such coving, I assume the other option would be to extend the plasterboard at the bottom of the upstand, and for the LED strips to be fited onto this extended plasterboard
I don't quite get what you mean here, sorry!
If you extend the ceiling plasterboard a little way beneath the lantern, it would be easy enough to add an upstand and attach the LED's to the side - the same way you propose for the coving.

Whatever you do, coving or upstands, they are likely to become dust magnets; make sure you can access the recess for occasional cleaning! :)

Ive designed and built these for customers

the neatest solution is where the lantern opening meets the internal ceiling -run a batten around flush to the bottom and add a strip of wood to the face of that batten forming a rebate.

the ceiling plastering can then be run right across the batten and upwards finishing to a bead stop

in the formed rebate -fit the led strip

yes if it can be angle to the wall that helps reduce reflection but because its not up near the lantern its less likely to suffer reflection

dont put the led just below the lantern -that will create reflections
Thanks @Notch7. I am not entirely sure what you mean about forming a rebate. Is there any chance you could sketch this out with some sizes of the batten and wood strip so that I can show this to my builder?

Thanks @Notch7. I am not entirely sure what you mean about forming a rebate. Is there any chance you could sketch this out with some sizes of the batten and wood strip so that I can show this to my builder?
I cant remember the size of batten I used -maybe 38 x 25 or something

to get the plaster return the height needs to be enough to fit a plaster stop bead on and the corner bead

it does work well because you cant see the tray looking up as the ceiling is continuous and it adds a wash of light onto the lantern reveals rather than the lantern

Scan_20220620.jpg

I cant remember the size of batten I used -maybe 38 x 25 or something

to get the plaster return the height needs to be enough to fit a plaster stop bead on and the corner bead

it does work well because you cant see the tray looking up as the ceiling is continuous and it adds a wash of light onto the lantern reveals rather than the lantern

View attachment 272587
Many thanks @Notch7.

Is the plasterboard (shown by the 2 blue arrows) a continuation of the same plasterboard from the ceiling? If so, this may be a problem as the plasterboard that is going to be fitted is a 50mm insulated plasterboard.

Is this the Stop Bead you are referring to? https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thin-Coat-Stop-Bead---3mm-x-3m/p/224660

If so, I cannot exactly tell where this will be fitted in relation to the ply strip :(. Does the ply strip need to be a particular thickness and depth?

Is this the Corner bead you are referring to? https://www.screwfix.com/p/simpson-...in-coat-angle-bead-2-3mm-x-2-4m-10-pack/55587

Again, I am not sure where this gets fitted. Would you be able to just sketch a cross-section of the plasterboard, batten, ply, stop bead and corner bead?

For the LED strip light, how do you get it angled towards the wall or do you use a 45 degree profile such as http://www.allledgroup.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=208&search=apa002 ?

1655720487050.png

Is the plasterboard (shown by the 2 blue arrows) a continuation of the same plasterboard from the ceiling? If so, this may be a problem as the plasterboard that is going to be fitted is a 50mm insulated plasterboard
yesw its a continuation.

ah okay, I hadnt realised its a cold roof -I hope the roof construction allows full airflow -its a bit tricky with a lantern generally

it might not be possible with insulated plasterboard -is the lantern reveal going to have insulated board too?

you would need to talk to your builder about what is possible -I dont know your roof construction so cant advice on this

the ply gets pinned to the batten to form the light recess, then the stop bead gets pinned to the plywood.

yes the LED aly profile holder would work well

cheers Notch

Thanks @Notch7. Regarding airflow, I am not sure if the roof construction will allow full airflow. Mushroom vents have been put into each of the corners on the roof. The builder says this is sufficient, and building control are not really interested if there is full air flow; they just 'tick the box' if ventilation, i.e. mushroom vents, has been installed.

Yes, the idea is to have insulated boards as well on the lantern reveals to keep the heat within the room. My concern now is that with having downlighters along the main ceiling perimeter and punching a hole through the lantern reveal for the wiring of the LED strips, heat is going to get through to the cold deck and cause condensation. I just hope I am wrong.

I will talk to my builder to see what he thinks about the fitting for the LED strip lights. I have already floated the idea about the LED coving from Screwfix and he thinks that will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back