Best way to replace radiator pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an issue with my loft radiators for a couple of years now, originally posting the issue here. Because we don't use the loft (it's become a storage room) it hasn't been a priority to resolve, but now my wife wants to clear it out and start using it. Also, we are having our bathroom refurbished and possibly having wet underfloor heating installed, so a good time to sort out the loft CH issues.

I climbed into the narrow eaves space to check out the radiator piping and get an idea of the runs and took some photos. There are two 15mm copper pipes (flow and return), which are connected to the 1st floor central heating pipes in the bathroom (under the bathroom floor and up the inside of the bathroom wall). In the loft, the flow runs to the 2 radiators and towel rail in parallel and same for the return. Is this method of piping likely to result in a reduced flow?

Flow and return split into two:
View media item 102811
The flow and the return running to the right of the copper pipes is then further split:
View media item 102812
There is 22mm pipe from the boiler to the 1st floor (at the far end of the house), then I assume 15mm to each radiator in the 4 bedrooms and bathroom, then 15mm upto the loft at which point it splits into 3 pipes. I wonder if the loft pipes are blocked due to the lack of flow pressure, so if I simply replaced this loft piping, am I likely to get the same issue over time?

Is there a better way to connect the 2 radiators and towel rail to the copper flow and returns i.e. should the flow run in serial to each radiator and the return also be run in serial. Obviously more piping, but I believe this is the way in which the rest of the radiators in the house are connected; one long flow for each floor, with a tee off to each radiator. Same for the return.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back