Best way to replace this 'deck'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

got a wooden deck which is looking tattier and tattier and we want to get rid of it. It's surrounded by trellis fence panels which are supported by fence posts.

I'd like to keep the shape of the space the deck makes i.e. keep the trellis and posts but just get rid of the wooden deck, and maybe pave some of the space left by the removal of the wooden deck.

Here's the thing though ... when I look at how the deck, posts and trellis are supported, it looks like this:

Underneath the decking boards there is a kind of 'grid' of 4x2 wood on the ground which is held in place by some concrete 'mounds' at certain places.

Then the posts have been screwed into the inside of this grid and the trellis has been screwed into the posts.

So none of the posts has been sunk into the ground and it all just 'hangs together'. It's been in place for 7+ years without any problems but, if I want to get rid of the decking boards and repave then I'll have to get rid of the underlying 'grid' too.

If I get rid of the 'grid' then nothing will hold the posts and panels together!

Anyone have any ideas as to how to get rid of the deck & grid and still keep the posts and panels?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if your only option is to rip the lot out and replace the trellis onto new longer posts set into the ground unless you just go down the route of replacing the boards with loverly shiney new ones or even attempt to revitalise them of which I think there is a recent thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back