Best way to scrape back plaster ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DIY'er, non plasterer here, hoping for some labour saving advice please ??

I've got to fit a shower tray and tile the walls in a bathroom where one of the 90° corners is well out of true. The plaster is proud where the two corners meet in both directions, making fitting the shower tray impossible at the mo. I can get over some of this by bulking the tile adhesive out, but I need to take some of the plaster off where the two corners meet all the way up the wall to make things work. I will need to debulk it by about 10mm in depth in the very corners feathering it out over 500mm in both directions.

Not knowing where to start, I used my angle grinder to get rid of the plaster in the corners but the amount of dust coming off is making this impractical. I then tried using my Marshalltown float to scrape the plaster off, and this did a slow but pretty good job and didn't make as much mess as the angle grinder, but it's going to be labour intensive to do it right up the wall.

Is there a quicker, better way to rake the plaster off without making as much mess as the angle grinder ?? I don't mind a bit of graft if it does the job properly. And just for info it's a traditionally plastered wall of browning and skim.

Cheers,
Graeme.

Sponsored Links
Although a very bendy ‘float’ did a good job?
I meant a decent scraper with a stiff blade.

Sponsored Links
In the end I used my router with a wide bit in it. Knackered the bit in the end, but did the job. Also used the angle grinder to smooth bits off. Whole house (and me) was covered in a thick layer of dust for ages :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back