Best way to secure a Steel Plate to a Concrete Floor ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to secure a flat 12mm thick galvanised mild steel plate ( 3000mm long x 170mm wide ) to the concrete floor in my garage.

The edge of the roller door will stop on this plate so it needs to be secured with countersunk screws so that the top face is flush.

The plate will form a threshold at the main door to the garage.

The plate has yet to be manufactured.

Could anyone please recommend how many fixings I should use to secure the plate to the floor ? I planned to space 2 rows out along the length at 0.5m centres.

How far in from the edge would you recommend the fixing holes are drilled in the plate ?

Which size of fixings would you recommend were used ?

In the concrete floor I was thinking about using internal threaded anchors. Could anyone recommend a particular type ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought of using raw bolts? as well as becoming a threshold does the the plate serve any other purpose?
The final fixing's should be close to the ends, about 15/20mm

Hi

I was thinking about using the drop in anchors for concrete, but I was wonder which size to use. As the plate is just to be a threshold plate I was wondering just how deep the fixings would need to be ?

Sponsored Links
Yes from what I can see you drill the hole in the concrete, drop the anchor in. You then use a setting tool together with a hammer to expand the bottom of the anchor which secures it in place. Job done !

The expanding bolt option would suit your needs, the FH range is a high performance one and if its just for holding down a plate you could use a cheaper countersunk bolt.. phone them and chat through your needs..

Bear in mind thou that the hole in the plate varies depending on the bolt manufacturer.. ie a 8mm Fischer Anchor FH II-SK bolt needs a 12mm dia hole.

Also might wanna consider how deep yous concrete is, as bolts are set lengths and need to be into decent concrete to fix.. ie the same 8mm FH bolt above needs a minimum of 125mm thick concrete (110 or so with your 12mm plate)..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back