Best way to shut off hot water on this system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a kitchen tap ASAP - the only issue is I can't seem to isolate the hot water which is coming from our tank. The hot water out pipe has no gate valve as you can see in the image attached.

There is also no shut-off valve under the cupboard in the kitchen.

There is another big thick pipe just out of shot to the right which goes into the tank, this is I assume the cold water feed? But turning that off just reduces the hot water to a fast dribble and not completely off.

I'd rather not drain the system as it takes forever.

Any way around this?

PS: Having to do this myself as I can't get a plumber to do it, "job is too small" and the only team that will take it on can't come until Nov. Otherwise would happily leave to professionals as this one is tricky to get to!

Thanks.

Attachments

• FvqkHhl.jpg
    FvqkHhl.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
Can you get into the loft and tie up the ball valve there?
Don’t expect gate valves to completely stop the water flow.....they belong in the days of steam!
John :)

There is another big thick pipe just out of shot to the right which goes into the tank, this is I assume the cold water feed? But turning that off just reduces the hot water to a fast dribble and not completely off.

That's the one that should turn it off, the gate valve won't be turning it off properly, if it doesn't work fully, don't force it. Gate valves need regular use to be effective for low pressure systems.

Bung the cold tank outlet that goes to that pipe and it'll stop.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back