Best way to soundproof a door on the cheap? Expanding Foam?

Mass and seperation.

Filling the core of the door with insulation will absorb sound passing through the doors hollow core, but if the door does not have much mass then I don't think it will do much.

30mm of foam, can't see it making a huge difference, and you are bound to leave hollow gaps within the door and you still have a low density frame.

I think low frequency noises will be much less affected by this type of soundproofing.

"the foam is an excellent thermal and acoustic insulator that sticks to practically all building materials."

The devil is in the detail, it may be a brilliant acoustic insulator, but at what thickness and in what situation?

What is the price of foam in a can to for a doors worth, £15, a few cans?

Sponsored Links
Mass and seperation.

Filling the core of the door with insulation will absorb sound passing through the doors hollow core, but if the door does not have much mass then I don't think it will do much.

30mm of foam, can't see it making a huge difference, and you are bound to leave hollow gaps within the door and you still have a low density frame.

I think low frequency noises will be much less affected by this type of soundproofing.

"the foam is an excellent thermal and acoustic insulator that sticks to practically all building materials."

The devil is in the detail, it may be a brilliant acoustic insulator, but at what thickness and in what situation?

What is the price of foam in a can to for a doors worth, £15, a few cans?

Thanks for the info, I'm beginning to think that the foam might be a waste of time on it's own too. Someone else mentioned that I should try sealing all the gaps around the door first as this might provide an adequate amount of soundproofing on it's own. There's quite a large gap underneath the door which is about 1 inch at it's widest point so I'm going get a draught excluder self-adhesive foam roll and try that first. Considering this one at the moment >

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004R24W5G

And the foam I bought was £5 (discounted from £14) and one can would be enough for a door . It's quite large and it says it expands about 30 times it's size.

Insulation material like that will stop airborn sound by absorbing it. But density is key, which is why acoustic insulation is more dense.

Filling any gap will make a difference, but a very lightweight foam is not the best solution, suck it and see.

Insulation material like that will stop airborn sound by absorbing it. But density is key, which is why acoustic insulation is more dense.

Filling any gap will make a difference, but a very lightweight foam is not the best solution, suck it and see.

What do you think would be the best way to tackle a, slightly curved, 1 inch gap under the door?

Sponsored Links
Filling any gap will make a difference

Really?

So placing a material between two surfaces will not allow sound to resonate across the space that would otherwise be insulated by air?

Lol.. Well strictly speaking it depends on the type of material placed between the two surfaces as well as the resonant frequency and volume of the offending sound.

Don't forget to ask Aron which side of the door to put the barrier. :D

Don't forget to ask Aron which side of the door to put the barrier. :D

"More dangerous are the common men, the functionaries ready to believe and to act without asking questions.”
― Primo Levi

This reminds me of another thread were a guy was talking about filling his conservatory roof (polycarbonate) roof with expanding foam with a view to insulating it. I told him to video it as I wanted to see this caper.

What do you think would be the best way to tackle a, slightly curved, 1 inch gap under the door?

Buy a new door!

Probably end up getting one later 44mm FD30, move the existing 35mm doorstops 9mm forward.

Trying to soundproof current door as an experiment. If it works it stays, if it doesn't work it gets replaced, as previously said a few times.

This reminds me of another thread were a guy was talking about filling his conservatory roof (polycarbonate) roof with expanding foam with a view to insulating it. I told him to video it as I wanted to see this caper.

Did he end up using the foam (and recording the video)?

If putting a rug over the door didn't help then are you sure the sound is definitely coming through the door. I had a similar problem at a previous house (bedroom above lounge) and the solution was to lay some of that dense 10mm acoustic/rubbery carpet underlay.

Really?

So placing a material between two surfaces will not allow sound to resonate across the space that would otherwise be insulated by air?

Seems you are joining nosealls bandwagon of selectivly picking parts of posts out of context and without checking facts.

Please feel free to circle jerk each other in your lame attempts to argue with me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back