Best way to standardise wood cuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Myself and the wife are undertaking our first DIY woodworking project, a potting bench made from chunky 2x4 redwood. Our local timber merchant has given us a great deal on the wood we need but the cuts on the 2x4's vary by up to 5mm in width. To make everything the same size what would be the best way of addressing this, cutting them down with a table saw or maybe planing them down with an electric planer?

The plan is that this is the first of many projects that we complete together (unless this mission end up with my head beneath the saw!) so we'd be looking at purchasing what we need to do the job.

Thanks

Edit: the max length I'll be looking at is 2m as the wood has been cut into the size I need.
Cheesy

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome cheeseater :D :D :D

table saw is the kiddy

although if the wood is like a bannana it wont work
you will need a planer thicknesser

is it treated wood??

if so it may need to even out mousture wise 5mm would be the difference between a very dry and very wet bit off 4" timber

Sponsored Links
Making a bench ? then variation is of no consequence, leave a slight gap to allow expansion and this will also take care of slight difference in timber dimension.

is it treated wood??

if so it may need to even out mousture wise 5mm would be the difference between a very dry and very wet bit off 4" timber

Sorry I should have been more accurate. Its treated but just not sawn very accurately.

Making a bench ? then variation is of no consequence, leave a slight gap to allow expansion and this will also take care of slight difference in timber dimension.

Hahaha thanks that is exactly what the 'missus says!

I agree on this project it's probably not a deal breaker but in a perfect world how would I do it?

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back