best way to use caulk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all
I am painting the outside of the house at the moment and am filling gaps in the joins in the porch along with a few holes.
In the past I have used filler for the holes (using a spreader and then sanding down) and a slightly runnier mix applied to the joins with my finger and wiping off the excess with a damp cloth.

I was told to use caulk as it was easier and better.

Whats the best way to use caulk.

I tried beading the join, smoothing off with my finger then using a cloth dampened with white spirit but this didnt get rid of the excess.

for the the holes i tried the same method as the filler but its a bugger to sand when dry
and i tried the same method as the joins but still no good.

Everyone raves about this stuff so it must me be me being useless.

any advice please

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Caulking is water based and a cloth dipped in turps wont help. A dam cloth is all that is needed. You cant sand down caulking either as its like rubber when dry. You need to apply it and smooth it with a wet finger and then leave it to dry. I use a wet cloth to keep my finger moist when running it along the caulk.

Thanks
that would solve the join problem
what about the hole filling do you use the same method?

Thanks

In holes caulking will always sink in, you cant help it. Its best to use a hard filler like polyfilla for holes and use caulk for the gaps and cracks.

Sponsored Links
Tetrion ready mixed filler is much too hard and will be difficult to sand down after. Just use a normal powder filler that can be mixed by hand as this will be softer and easier to rub against.

Tetrion ready mixed filler is much too hard and will be difficult to sand down after. Just use a normal powder filler that can be mixed by hand as this will be softer and easier to rub against.

totally agree
I used exterior polyfilla and left it raised to sand down, the blooming stuff was so hard that i had to chisel it off and start again!

Never use the powder fillers over wood work paint. It WILL blow in time.

I used to use tetrion powder filler until i went to do more work for a client a couple of years later and noticed that all the screw holes had blown in the skirting.

I now use either epoxy resin filler or Red Devil One Time.

Incidentally I am working for the same client in their new home. I painted all of their new cabinets but they got contract decorators to do the rest of the decorating. they used tetrion powdered filler everywhere. Within a year most of it has blown.

I groan when i come across the blown filler because i know that I have to sand it all back, you cant feather it out!!!

The only powder filler i use is the grey toupret extrior masonry stuff

If you are looking for an excellent caulk at the best price that I have ever seen then go to
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...nts/Decorators+Caulk+310ml/d180/sd2350/p26394

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back