Best way to use new CH/HW system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have taken the time to read the FAQ's/Sticky sections and previous posts, all have which proved very useful however I would appreciate some more advice and thoughts.

Coming to the end of a renovation of old stone property. New CH/HW currently coming to the end of installation (Unvented system, oil condensing boiler). Property is listed and in national park/conservation area so restrictions on double glazing etc. We have insulated where possible and there is double glazing where allowed on new work. All other windows are good condition single glazed sashes. Rads with TRV's.

How best to use the CH for the house efficiently and cost effectively?

Should we have a digital programmable room thermostat (one or two?). If yes, where is it best to be positioned and do we then need a timer for the CH/HW as well? Or are other systems better?

Plumber is very good but it is difficult deciding how to proceed with a new system and never having lived in the house. Appreciate there has to be an element of seeing how the house performs but do not want to have to retrofit anything that can be done now.

If we use a digital programmer, would the boiler be on all day and the programmer/thermostat controls when heat is required?

Apologies for all the questions as I presume for most on this forum they are pretty basic. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There are so basic that I cannot undertand why you do not want to trust your plumber who knows your house, knows you and knows your house!

Tony

Yes the questions may be basic but are important never the less. I do trust my plumber however the house has never had CH, we have never lived there and so to a certain extent, it is an unknown quantity as to how it will perform. It has its restrictions due to single glazing etc, so I feel it is not as easy to understand how it will perform compared to a new, cavity wall, well insulated, double glazed house.

I would like a warm, cost efficient home. I could go down the suck it and see road but prefer to gain as much information as possible with regard to options available.

The plumber is asking me how do I want to use the system and what type of thermostats etc I would prefer, he is offering his opinion but ultimatley it is a decision I need to make hence my request for other opinions and information, hopefully from people who are knowledgeable and/or been in a similar situation.

Previous houses have had a basic timer system and basic room thermostat in the hall, this is all I have known, things have moved on considerably I know and I would like to ensure the correct decisions are made.

With thanks

I am fairly knowledegible but knoiw nothing about, you your family or lifestyle.

Thats just about you. Nor do I even know if you have radiators or underfloor!

To give you what you want to know I would have to ask about 20 questions all of which your plumber will already know the answers!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I do mention there are radiators with TRV's in the original post. I apologise for not providing all the information you need. Hopefully other replies may come along.

With thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back