Better alternative to jigsaw for straight cuts (Edit - Which track saw)?

Damage to you fingers is so much less with a handsaw. Only cut the tip of my thumb in half with a handsaw , would have been so much worse with a powered saw .
A few years back one of our local colleges issued a tool list for new apprentice joiners which included the Stanley JetSaw (hand saw). Within weeks they'd had to take two students to A&E. Tricky things to master for a beginner those Japanese-teeth saws!

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for everyone's further comments on this.

Having done a lot more research, I think that whilst I would really love a track saw, I am not sure I can justify the extra expense, given that I am not going to be doing huge amounts of cutting.

I think I am going to go with a circular saw, make a guide, and take things from there.

If I do end up getting into woodwork, more seriously (which I hope I do), I can always upgrade, later down the road.

Can anyone recommend anyone recommend anything in particular to look for when looking for circular saws, please?

I have had a look at the usual places (Screwfix and Toolstation) and this seems pretty good:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolutio...electric-multipurpose-circular-saw-110v/36727

Has good reviews, good cutting depth and power, and is reduced at the moment.

Is this worth considering or should I look to spend a bit more?

Whoops that was a close one - I definitely want a 240v version. Thank you.

What else should I be looking for in terms of wattage, cutting depth, brand etc?

Sponsored Links
Have done a complete u-turn and I think I can justify the extra expense and go for a track saw, after all.

Any models to consider/avoid?

I've been on a couple of projects where the main contractor gave me an Evo saw for rough work (basically it was a throw-away for use on rough work). I wasn't the best of saws and would never be a favourite

Have done a complete u-turn and I think I can justify the extra expense and go for a track saw, after all.
Any models to consider/avoid?
The Scheppach/Aldi ones aren't compatible with Festool/Makita/Hilti/Parkside/Titan/Triton tracks. Maybe not a disadvantage, but there are definite advantages to having 1400/1500mm rails (where two will allow a rip cut of an 8 x 4ft sheet) over 700mm ones (where three joints in a sheet rip size will be difficult to keep straight, especially after a bit of use). Take a look at Peter Millard's video series "Festool vs. Cheap Tool" on YouTube to get an idea about the Titan saw from Screwfix. It's actually surprisingly good, as is the LIDL Parkside saw. To make the most of it you will need to make-up some form of cutting bench - I use a couple of quick and dirty 4 x 2 or 3 x 2 softwood trestles like these:
Quick and Dirty Trestle 001_01.JPG

together with a few lengths of CLS to form a breaking down table which can be put away when not in use. When I do make-up a breaking down table top:
Breaking Down Bench 7 x 3ft 001_01.JPG

out of scrap or offcuts screwed together I aim for something like 7 x 3ft size. But TBH it isn't essential when 4 no 7 ft lengths of CLS will do almost as well

Thanks ever so much for that, JobAndKnock - it had not even occurred to me to actually make some cutting stands.

I also checked out Peter Millard's videos - really interesting.

I tried to order one of the Titan saws from Screwfix and noted that they had disappeared from their website.

I e-mailed Screwfix and they have confirmed that they no longer sell them - I am majorly gutted as I could have bought one only a few weeks ago.

There are not really any going on E-bay, so what should I do now?

I could pay a bit more and get one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb690csw-185mm-electric-plunge-saw-240v/3875p

or

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power...ut-saw-with-1400mm-guide-rail-rutlands+xt3516

Failing that, I might have to make a considerable price jump to something like the Triton TTS1400

https://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-tts1400-165mm-electric-plunge-saw-240v/2902k

but I would then have to factor in, the fact that it does not come with any tracks, so these would push the price up further.

Sorry about that :oops:. I didn't realise that SFX had dropped the line, but in my defence I tend to be a sporadic user of SFX. I note, however, that B&Q (part of the same group as SFX) were selling the Titan for a while and now sell a suspiciously similar MacAlister plunge saw instead (possibly a bit of price point engineering here?).

I also mentioned the LIDL Parkside saw. I've checked and you do see them coming up on eBay quite regularly. Mr Millard did a sort of mini comparison of it to the Titan here. However, the Parkside saw won't run on Makita rails, although that might no be an issue (also note the price that the LIDL saw sells at when it is in the shops - so it might be worth waiting for that if it floats your boat).

Peter has also done another series of videos showing how useful the plunge/track saw is, starting here which could also be of interest to you

Again, apologies for not being up to date. I'm a regular track saw user with 4 different models, but I'm trade and that's a somewhat different ball park (reliability, durability and long term spares availability being key issues) so I tend to pick-up on the DIY market trends in these saws a little bit late

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old Festool TS55 and guide rails.

It is a dream to work with. I am not a chippy by trade but I have never hurt myself using it and love the dust extraction it offers.

A long time ago, someone told me to buy the best tools that I could afford. His reasoning was that a better quality tool will allow you to obtain a better quality of finish. I thank him for that advice. Someone like JobAndKnock could probably get a decent finish with a fork and spoon. I can't and am therefore happy to pay for decent tools to compensate for my lack of knowledge/skill.

If screwfix have discontinued something have a look on Amazon.
I always cross check prices and have often got what I want at a cheaper price. With Prime there is usually free delivery on most things as well.

Sorry about that :oops:. I didn't realise that SFX had dropped the line, but in my defence I tend to be a sporadic user of SFX. I note, however, that B&Q (part of the same group as SFX) were selling the Titan for a while and now sell a suspiciously similar MacAlister plunge saw instead (possibly a bit of price point engineering here?).

No apology necessary, old chap.

From what I have recently read, the MacAlister plunge saws are (apparently) indeed identical to the Titans - they are just rebadged. Can anyone confirm that this is definitely true?

If so, given Peter Millard's video review of the Titan, I would go with one of those.

Annoyingly, they are doing a huge reduction on those saws in a few B&Q branches in London (I have seen them as low as £55.00), but nothing in the Essex area.

Think I might just pay the full £99.00 and get one from my local SFX.

If B&Q are selling them at a reduction ask if you can order one from the London branch to be delivered to your local branch for collection.
Don'tknow if they will do it but there's no harm in asking, even if it costs a tenner for delivery still cheaper.

I just called them and, unfortunately, the item is strictly for in-store collection only.

Thanks for the suggestion, though - was definitely worth a shot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back