BG Doorbell Transformer

If you want 16V, connect between the terminals marked 8V and 24V. If you measure that, I'd expect a reading of about 20V unloaded.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes, I've looked at the 'datasheet', and it is at odds with your multimeter!
I think you may require a proper regulated 12V d.c. supply for your electronic equipment.

what cable are you running from the output to the bell and what distance is it. Being a camera if a fair run and using a poor cable that may be the issue check what voltage your recieving at the bell unit end. Big error often on door entry use poor cabling for vid output over a distance and it just doesnt work, some manufacturer will specify the type of cable required when for installing, this is generally ignored and they are ok until the time it doesnt run. I dont know your product though.

Last edited:
Need a model number. Some of their range can operate using 16-24 V AC, others at 12 V DC.
From info given so far, and because of the seemingly wrong info from BG, you're trying to power a piece of dc equipment from ac.

Need a model number. Some of their range can operate using 16-24 V AC, others at 12 V DC.
From info given so far, and because of the seemingly wrong info from BG, you're trying to power a piece of dc equipment from ac.
could well be the problem with mis printed specification info from the manufacturer!

what cable are you running from the output to the bell and what distance is it. Being a camera if a fair run and using a poor cable that may be the issue check what voltage your recieving at the bell unit end. Big error often on door entry use poor cabling for vid output over a distance and it just doesnt work, some manufacturer will specify the type of cable required when for installing, this is generally ignored and they are ok until the time it doesnt run. I dont know your product but guess its a wirless vid signal so cable may not be so reliant on performance
defo not a cable issue as when it didn't work I connected a 10cm cable from the transformer directly to the doorbell! hence why then went back to testing terminals with meter. think the issue is it's actually outputting ac and not dc as the spec and I was using about 5 metered of proper bell wire.

I'd suggest that once you've got the power supply correct for the equipment, use some light-to-medium gauge, stranded speaker cable. Bell wire is really quite thin and nasty.

I’ve emailed BG support to flag the issue to them. But they knew two years ago that the data sheet is wrong. This is from Screwfix queries about this product.

79D64DC5-F63A-4CF0-A4A3-D10643022539.jpeg

@winston1 has a point about manufacturers information (sometimes) being wrong!

Thanks all. So what alternative could I use without using the cheap and high failure rate of standard plugin 12v dc transformers that you can get generically off the internet. looking for something a bit more reliable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back