Doorbell transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
It is very common to see 'nominal' values of 'quantities or dimensions' when the real value of that quantity is subject to variation (e.g. when there is natural variation or manufacturing tolerance). However, when that is done, the nominal value quoted is almost invariably some sort of average (mean, median, mode or whatever) of the 'real values' around which the variation exists - and therefore represents the best available indication/estimate of what value is 'expected'. Off the top of my head, I can think of no other situation in which a 'nominal value' is quoted which is clearly appreciably different from any sort of average of the real values that one could think of - and hence which is a poor indicator/estimate of what real values are likely.
You seem to have become infected by Winston's madness.

Uo IS 230V, and has been for 20 years.

Whether it bears any relationship to any sort of average voltage supplied is utterly irrelevant.

Whether you think that definition #3 is being used in a very unusual (or even unique) way is utterly irrelevant.

Uo IS 230V, and has been for 20 years.

And "This so called nominal value of UK mains voltage is not nominal at all" is one of the most stupid, ignorant things I have ever read.

Sponsored Links
You seem to have become infected by Winston's madness.
Not at all.
Whether it bears any relationship to any sort of average voltage supplied is utterly irrelevant. ... Whether you think that definition #3 is being used in a very unusual (or even unique) way is utterly irrelevant.
Utterly irrelevant to what? As you say, I was merely observing that it would seem that definition #3 was being used in a very unusual (and, in my experience, quite possibly unique) manner which did not relate to any sort of average. Whether that is relevant (to something) is for you, and others, to decide.

As for the 'unusualness', maybe your experience is wider than mine and you can think of lots of other situations in which a quoted 'nominal value' of a quantity does not relate to 'some sort of average' ('most common', 'usual', 'expected', a mathematical average or or whatever).

Kind Regards, John

FWIW, my personal view is that, in an ideal world, the mods would chop off everything starting with winston1's 12:58am post on Sunday (4th Jan) back on page 1 and turn it into a suitably-titled separate thread - for folk to participate in, or ignore, as took their fancy.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back