wiring 2 doorbells off 1 transformer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi...is it possible to wire up 2 doorbells off one transformer..i have a bell on a friedland 1amp 8v transformer but want to add another bell on the first floor...ive been told i can add another on the same transformer by wiring in the second bell directly to the first bell with the wires going in the same positions on the second bell...there are 4 terminals on the bell unit...0,1,2,3...or my other more expensive option is to get a 2amp 8v transformer, so my question is really can i use the cheaper option to wire it from the existing transformer or will it not work?..thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
A 1 amp Transformer can supply a 1 amp bell.

A 2 amp transformer can supply two 1 amp bells.

Regardless of the wiring.

what if i get another 1a transformer for the new bell...can it be wired up so it uses the same bell button..or will that conflict with the existing setup...

No, you'll need a separate button if you opt for a separate transformer.

Sponsored Links
a relay is . . . too much trouble to wire on this circuit.

It would enable you to control the second bell on a second transformer, by using an electro magnetic switch in the circuit of the first bell.

But I have been informed by spark123 they dont go down to 8 volts. Someone proove me (and spark123) wrong :LOL:

A relay is an electro-mechanical switch, it has a coil in one side and contacts in the other, so the coil would be wired in parelell with your existing bells coil and the contacts in place of the bell push in the second circuit, this prevents the conflict you alluded to

Relays can be had from Maplin electronics.

thanks for quick reply....think ill just try to source a 2a transformer...

Relays go as low as 3V and then reed relays go lower, just search the RS components catalogue, there are hundreds of types

yep AC, we use 6V ones in our call panels that we make for stately homes, you can always add a simple silicon bridge rectifier if you run into difficulty.

thanks for quick reply....think ill just try to source a 2a transformer...

Why do you think you need one.
Just because it is 1 amp the bell might only be 0.5 amp.
Therefore two bells may be ok on 1 amp.
I would try it first.
The average friedland transformer is 0.5amp and that runs 1 underdome bell easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back