BG Homecare Contract and power flushing

That's a long way off shore!

Usually means the North Sea with trips with questionable Super Pumas!

Sponsored Links
I'm usually North Sea but they sent me here for a while instead.

Morning

As a refresher, this was my problem.......

" I am experiencing a boiler which keeps cutting out, heating that runs then goes off, intemittent hot water, and more importantly the big rad in the front room stays cold from the bottom to half way up. Water has been drained from here and it is full of what i can only describe as black iron fillings. I am having to turn off all upstairs rads to be able to get some heat downstairs. I have been told that the pipework is getting effectively insulated from the inside by all the crap in the system causing the safety sensor to malfunction as it cannot accurately read the water temp. This would be replaced during the flush BG said. sometimes the boiler will try to fire up but the flames will die after about 4 seconds and this will continue as long as the heating is trying to come on or hot water is asked for. Occasionally the boiler will trip out and need ressetting. Last night I turned on hot bath tap and hot sink tap for ages and finally generated a substantial flow of good hot water. Maybe I forced enough rubbish away from sensor for it to work properly. it will be a gamble again tonight if I get hot water or heating. "................

i am now getting NO HEATING and NO HOT WATER, the flames arent firing in the boiler. An independant plumber came to the conclusion that the PCB had gone as other things were doing their thing in the boiler until it was the PCB's turn to ignite the flame which it wasnt doing.

Can blocked / insulated pipework due to a sludge problem around the safety sensor eventually blow the PCB ?

I have another two plumbers coming out tonight and tomorrow. I am letting them diagnose the problem themselves without me telling them about the sludge problem in the hope that they can all diagnose the same problem.

Is this advisable or should I inform them of the sludge problem ?

Thanks

Lee

So you're getting another two plumbers to come and spend time to diagnose faults in your system.

I hope you're paying for their time, or they are smart enough to not tell you problem until you have paid.

Sponsored Links
So far Ive had three plumbers and two different answers...who am i meant to believe ?

Are you not meant to shop around to get best quote ?

I have found even doctors cannot always diagnose correctly first time, thats why you can get a second opinion.

I understand shopping around and getting a quote for an install, but don't think it's right to get a few guys round to spend their time diagnosing a fault, when you know yourself you will only be picking one of them.

I don't know if your pcb is faulty, but what we do all know with your prev description is that you definitely need to get your system cleaned out, there's no getting away from that..

Rather than waste busy tradesmens time, why don't you simply not pay until the problem you're paying them to rectify is actually fixed.

Out of curiosity what boiler is it?

Its a Britony chaffoteaux.

So your telling me tell pay them until them eventually find the problem ?

What if they get it wrong first time, will they come back and carry on locating and fixing the problem for no further fee ?

All im trying to do is get a general agreement as to what the problem might be, surely I have the right to do this before paying out hand over fist ?

You are correct the system does need cleaning out and that will be done but the problem has now changed from intermittent heat and water to no heat and water so something else needs looking at now as well.

Im busy so cannot reply all day im afraid..

If there is a pcb fault, this is unrelated to sludge and will be fixed by bg as under contract.

I normally had cover but was in the process of switching to a much cheaper option when this happened. They will eventually tell me its unservicable, then i shall have to replace.

anyway.............can a sludged up system kill a pcb ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back