BG Interview help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, i have applied online for the position of Apprentice Technical Engineer with British Gas and having succesfully completed the first part of their application process i have been invited along to an assessment.
At this assessment i am to demonstrate the qualities i wrote about myself in the first part.

can anybody help me with any tips or advice to make me a little more prepared please ?.

What do i wear ?. smart casual / suit ?.

Do they want 2 see personal qualities or do i bring blow torch and pipe ?.he he only joking but any tips / advice to what they are looking for will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Sponsored Links
dress smart and be well groomed, tuck your shirt in and clean your shoes.

they are looking at you to represent them, on a customers doorstep one day ;)

Plus they want to see if you can turn an annual service in to the sale of a new boiler via a new circulator pump, new boiler 'stat and £700 flush..Further brownie points are awarded for convincing the poor customer that she is getting a good deal ;)

if you are applying for an apprentice position they wont be overly worried about your technical ability. lord knows some morons have slipped the net. :LOL: as long as you know which way is up and you are not a complete technical dullard it wont be important.

what they will want to see is a bright, enthusiastic, honest and forthcoming chap. as long as you haven't lied on your application they will only ask the usual interview questions. at least thats what happened at my interview.

Sponsored Links
Plus they want to see if you can turn an annual service in to the sale of a new boiler via a new circulator pump, new boiler 'stat and £700 flush..Further brownie points are awarded for convincing the poor customer that she is getting a good deal ;)

that comes with corperate cynism :LOL:

I had a regular interview.
Went suited and booted, answered the questions and sold myself well!

They will ask details of any practical experiences you have, in any field, mine was in car engines! And how you would approach certin situations.

Good luck

if you can talk like you know everything and dont want any mates then this is the job for you ,if you want a good job look elsewhere ,good luck,

Paul,
If you are based in East Lothian then you are probably going for the interview at their Glasgow Training Academy?

My advise would be, dress smart, take any certificates about your qualifications etc, even school stuff. They are as interested in your communication skills as any practical experience you may have. Demonstrate that you are keen to learn new things. As far as they are concerned they will teach you everything you need to know.

I spent some time at the Glasgow Academy and found Scottish engineers of a very high standard. I am based in London and BG struggles to keep hold of engineers (even the crap ones) as other employers or being self employed offers far higher reward. This is not always the case in Scotland and as such the engineers stay with BG (SG) and become very experienced. Average age is perhaps 10yrs old than the guys I work with and that can mean 10yrs more experience.

The idiots (there are some exceptions) I have seen come through apprenticeships in London are not half as keen as the ones I met in Scotland. Be ready to impress your interviewer as competition is high. In London its basically 'if you get an interview you will probably get the job'

Good luck

thanks for the advice guys. got a week to go till the interview, i'm lookin forward to it. I've got my interview clothes sorted and will revise on my relevant past expeiences and skills to make sure i'm prepared as possibble. will get my qualifications and other paperwork arranged too.
really want this job. :D

Prepare yourself for some role play as well, i.e you being the future Bg engineer and the interviewer playing a little old lady with no CH or HW and its Xmas eve..... What you gonna do? Always wear a suit and you'll have to wire up a Y or S plan as your technical task with some help and all the neccessary info. Used to be a plug but they've moved on a bit! All BG interviews are compotent based, so there looking for particular answers, if they keep questioning you on a specific Q, then there looking for something more. Good luck

Just make sure that your knuckles don't scrap on the floor, unless you want a posting to London.(then its a requirement)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back