Bi-directional TRV body - no flow arrows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a new bi-directional TRV to suit a new radiator.

There are no markings on the body to indicate which way the flow should go.

The supplier assures me it doesn't matter, but I always understood it does.

Advice appreciated.

I have two pictures of the valve to help, one end has a small hole near the base (the outlet from the TRV blocking pin) and the other has a large hole, which has a semi-circular chamber into the underside of the liquid capsule.

Sponsored Links
He's right, it won't matter, clues in the name ;)

Sponsored Links
As I understand it - the flow arrows are there so you can put the body the right way round at the installation phase.

I have used Danfoss ones before where you rotate a sleeve to suit either flow or return pipe use of the valve.

Looking again at the description of the one in question, it states they have a 'reversible bi-directional body' - which still (to me) indicates it's handed.

My thoughts are the large bore is the inflow (down through the needle valve orifice) and the small bore is the outflow end.

Unless someone can think of why not, that's the way I'll fit 'em!

Looking again at the description of the one in question, it states they have a 'reversible bi-directional body' - which still (to me) indicates it's handed.

This just means if you fit them for example to a bottom entry towel rail you can have it on the left or right, pipe can come from left, right or back.

Is this for real??

BI-directional

Bicycle, Biplane, biped, bisexual.... Bi=two

So lets say TWO-directional!!

So the water can go either way

So theres only TWO connections

So the valve can be fitted either way.........

Found new info which fully clarifies this for me... even though it seems to annoy others.......

"The Elegance TRV is specially designed for installation on either the flow or return pipework, in any orientation and with the flow of water in any direction"

Sorted - End of discussion, and thanks for the banter?

your first reply and the fella you bought it from told you that!!

Glad your sorted now!!! (cant wait for you to ask whether to put the bleed vent on the left or right tapping ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back