Trv flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I’m new to the forum so please be gentle recently I’ve installed new radiator to my living room where I’ve fitted the trv on the return as the manual says it’s bi flow one(I know it’s a good practice to be on the flow side but ...)the hole rad is hearing good but the middle bottom it’s just warm and when I touch the return pipe it’s barely warm is there any manual adjustment I can do on the trv body(without the plastic regulator)as the flow seems to be very poor and I’m not sure is it the valve or there is something wrong with the rad
Trv is Drayton RT212
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Most valves come as pairs the TRV and lock shield there are instructions for the valve, which show it has the option of fitting pegs to restrict the range, but it does not seem to include the lock shield within the TRV, there are some where both are in the same head, but it does not seem this is one of that type, so other than ability to fit pegs same as any standard TRV.

So you the used have two controls, the TRV is as one may expect a thermostat so setting the numbers sets the temperature, the lock shield controls the flow, so it would seem likely the lock shield needs tweaking, however with the TRV on the return the lock shield valve setting is critical, if it is too far open the radiator will fill with hot water before the TRV can react to temperature change, that is why better if on the feed, so I set as follows.

1) Turn off completely.
2) ¼ turn at a time with 4 minutes between each turn open until you can feel some hot on feed pipes clearly while boiler is running.
3) Set temperature required.
4) Measure temperature of room, if over temperature close a little if under temperature open a bit.

Since I used MiHome Energenie heads the PC showed both target and current temperature, and in °C so easy enough to monitor using PC, phone or tablet until correct temperature was maintained, once the lock shield was set, for rooms not used as much I swapped the the heads for cheaper programmable heads or liquid filled heads and it continued to work fine.

In the main the bottom will stay cool with a modulating boiler, with a oil boiler that turns off/on the whole radiator may get hot, but whole idea of using a modulating set of controls is to stop the hysteresis, (over shooting temperature set) and supply the return with cool water so the boiler can extract the latent heat, the boiler output turns up/down not on/off, the TRV flow turns up/down not on/off, and if a wall thermostat is fitted it is connected to the ebus so again up/down not on/off except when used to stop cycling in the summer.

As summer returns the boiler will reach its limit and can't turn down any more, at that point it starts to cycle off/on, and it would continue to do that all summer unless manually turned off or some auto system turns it off, so often a on/off wall thermostat is fitted in a room on ground floor which is kept cool, has no outside door, and not alternative heating (or as close as possible to that) to turn off boiler as summer arrives, the wall thermostat normally set slightly higher than the TRV so in winter it does nothing.

There are other methods where the TRV is linked to wall thermostat, but giving the basic method.

I’ve installed new radiator to my living room where I’ve fitted the trv on the return as the manual says it’s bi flow
It doesn't make any difference which side of the rad a TRV is fitted. All it i doing is adjusting the flow through the rad to maintian the required room temperature. If the room is cold when the heating is turned on, the TRV will be fully open until the room temperature is about 2C below the required temperature, So the fact that it will take several minutes for the rad to reach working temperature is irrelevant.

If you have added an additional rad or replaced an existing (it's not clear) then you will have to rebalance the system. This tells you how to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back