Directional TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Bit confused. I'm resigned to draining down again as what I've done must be wrong. :(

So fitted this (link below) and one of the Q&A was "Can this be fitted on flow or return?". Answer from manufacturer was "No, its directional so must be fitted on the flow". Well luckily mine is fitted on the flow side of the rad but the valve body has an arrow pointing the opposite way. But isn't the correct answer "Yes it can be fitted on flow or return side of the rad but the arrow must point in the direction of the flow" ?

I should say even though the flow of water is against the arrow, it seems to work fine but I'm obviously not comfortable with it. If I left it would it suddenly decide to start clicking loudly in the night or something?

Sponsored Links
if fitted against the flow of water, it might start getting noisey, nothing dangerous just annoying , some tick some thud, when closing, if it starts getting noisey simple take the sensor head off until you can get time to turn it the correct way round

Sponsored Links
I've allways installed mine horizontally, on the return, as I think they get a more accurate room temperature this way, also, when only unidirectional TRVs were available the flow was/is correct installing them this way. I still feel that even the bi directional ones work best where the flow comes from under the valve seat which means installing them vertically on the inlet or horizontally on the return.

I've allways installed mine horizontally, on the return, as I think they get a more accurate room temperature this way, also, when only unidirectional TRVs were available the flow was/is correct installing them this way. I still feel that even the bi directional ones work best where the flow comes from under the valve seat which means installing them vertically on the inlet or horizontally on the return.
It is a straight through TRV for probably a towel rail

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back