Bi-folding Door Size query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently in the process of building a rear extension. I have sourced and almost paid for a set of 3.6 m bi-folding doors to be placed at the rear wall. The total length of the outside wall is approx. 9 m.

Our architect has assured me there are no issues about this. However another architect has informed me that I cannot have a bifolding door in width greater than 25% of the rear wall in Ealing, London.

Is this really the case? I cannot find anything useful online. Is there anyway around this?

Sponsored Links
The area of openings in the new extension can not be more than 25% of the extended floor area, minus the area of any openings removed from the main house due to the extension

If it is you need a SAP calculation to prove thermal efficiency (ie heat loss through the openings) is acceptable

The area of openings in the new extension can not be more than 25% of the extended floor area, minus the area of any openings removed from the main house due to the extension

If it is you need a SAP calculation to prove thermal efficiency (ie heat loss through the openings) is acceptable

Thanks. Would you mind clarifying what you mean by 'minus the area of any openings removed from the main house' - I thought it was 'plus' - we are losing most of the back wall from the original house to create an open plan effect.

Sorry, this is to show the extension which will be an 'L'-shaped extension going along back and side.

Would be grateful for your advice.

Sponsored Links
looks to me like the glazed area exceeds the 25% rule therefore follow Woodlegs advice and get a SAP calc done.

Is that kitch/diner ceiling vaulted?

Woody, I presume this is not difficult to prove? These days you see so many houses with huge bi folding doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back