Biasi boiler struggling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up to find my boiler struggling this morning

The boiler is a Biasi Riva Advance 24HE combi-boiler and we've had it installed for just over a year.

When I woke up and tried to put on the hot water, it only warmed ever so slightly before going icy cold. I tried putting on the central heating. Unusually, when the heating seemed to be firing up, there was a louder than usual noise coming from the gas meter in the other room. This lasted for around 30 seconds and coincided with the sound of the boiler warming and the temperature gauge slowly increasing. However, every 30-60 seconds, this stops, the noise from the gas meter stops and the temperature gauge falls...this process is then repeated maybe 7-8 times (as if the boiler has fired up, but is struggling to get much further) for approximitely 10 minutes.

At this point, the indicator lights come on and the red boiler lock-out light goes on. The 3 indicator light show two flashing green lights on either side of a solid red light which, according to the instruction manual, means 'lack of burner ignition' - though the boiler does seem to be igniting, just not staying on

When the boiler lock-out light comes on, I press the boiler reset button and this process happens again, coming to the same conclusion.

The odd thing is that if I keep resetting the boiler, and leaving the central heating on, repeating the aforementioned process, my central heating does reach a level where my radiators are quite hot and the temperature guage on the boiler rises to a good temperature. At this point, when I try the hot water tap, the water heats to a very good temperature but then starts to cool within maybe a minute, eventually getting very cold.

Would anyone have any ideas? It's currently not too bad because I can keep the flat warm, it's more the problem of not having a constant stream of hot water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and please let me know if you'd need any more details?

Dave

Edit - I have also noticed that if I have my gas cooker on, when I put the central heating on and I hear the gas meter get noisy, the flame goes right down and eventually dies. If the flame is still lit, it returns to a normal flame once the noise from the gas meter stops.

I'm a novice but even I can see this seems to be a gas issue! Am going to get on the phone to gas company tomorrow - the gas meter itself does seem pretty old and even from when we moved in about 2 and a half years ago, it did make noises from time to time, something I'm reliably told by my dad shouldn't have been happening!

Sponsored Links
Get your gas meter governor checked out !!
I'm pretty much a novice so am not entirely sure what that is but from a quick look it seems to be a small part around the gas meter that regulates the gas pressure? That would make sense with regards my problem - not enough gas getting to the boiler, hence it struggling to heat up

Will be contacting my gas supplier tomorrow morning, hopefully that is the problem

Correct on your assumption of what the gas meter governer is. Call 0800 111 999, they'll send someone out to sort it for you for free

Sponsored Links
Correct on your assumption of what the gas meter governer is. Call 0800 111 999, they'll send someone out to sort it for you for free
Isn't that just the emergency number for if you have gas leaks and whatnot? Would be nice to get it sorted ASAP mind you.

The meter says property of British Gas, do you think I should contact them or my gas supplier? Or the aforementioned number? Am hoping to get the meter replaced, would be nice to get a new one

Not just for leaks, it's for this kind of issue as well. Explain the problem and that you've been advised you have a faulty governor. Why do you want a new meter? It won't use any less gas!! Call the number given and all will be fixed

Not just for leaks, it's for this kind of issue as well. Explain the problem and that you've been advised you have a faulty governor. Why do you want a new meter? It won't use any less gas!! Call the number given and all will be fixed

Ha why do I want a new meter? Pretty much just because the other one looks like a hunk of junk and I don't trust it to keep working. It has been making random noises since I moved in (not all the time), do all meters do that? I just figured that a new meter would probably be more reliable, ha I don't know why really?

Cheers for the advice, I will call them tomorrow, hopefully that will be what the problem is, everyone seems pretty sure it is the governor that is the problem rather than the meter (or the boiler) itself then?

Hey what's the worst that could happen if it stops working? You'll pay less for your gas, because it won't be counting it properly. That sounds like a good thing to me. They're not in the habit of going wrong though. Having said that, your issue could possibly be meter-related, but they'll test that.

Hey what's the worst that could happen if it stops working? You'll pay less for your gas, because it won't be counting it properly. That sounds like a good thing to me. They're not in the habit of going wrong though. Having said that, your issue could possibly be meter-related, but they'll test that.

Ha, if it stops working, will it not cause problems like this where I cant get any hot water? Not ideal! I'm still a little wary about calling that number. I know, wimp! Is just because the National Grid website says only to call if you smell gas or suspect an emission of CO2 - suppose I can just blag it though and claim that a faulty gas meter could lead to these problems

I assume people recommending calling this number know more about it than me though! Cheers for all the responses, its greatly appreciated. i know it's a pain putting up with such a novice!

Coward ! In theory they will come out during the night !

Be aware that your boiler should have a two year warrantee!

To keep the second year activated you need to have it serviced and recorded on the service record.

Tony

Coward ! In theory they will come out during the night !

Be aware that your boiler should have a two year warrantee!

To keep the second year activated you need to have it serviced and recorded on the service record.

Tony

Yea, but I sleep during the night!

I would prefer to go to sleep a little later so I could wake up to a warm house and hot water!

In fact getting out of bed in an unheated house is my vision of purgatory!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back