Biasi combi boiler problem ~ help, please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Biasi combi boiler model 24S, manufactured in 1998. We once had the rubber diaphragm changed, otherwise has been running okay.

However, it has started making an odd noise since we started using the heating side of it, when the colder weather showed up. The noise shows up when the heating system is running, and then we draw off some hot tap water. It is a kind of growling noise for about 4-5 seconds, sounding like shot bearings, kind of thing.

I have also heard it when the heating is on and no hot water drawn off the sink tap.

Any boiler engineers familiar with this kind of problem and able to guess what it might be? I presume there is a diverter valve that changes things over from heating to DHW when the taps are opened up, and that is in need of replacement etc.

a) Any idea of time/costs?
b) Would it be about the time when I need to change up for a condensing boiler (gulp)?
c) Any suggestions for that cond boiler?

btw, I am not planning to do the repairs - I would just feel better talking to a repair engineer when I know what is wrong with the thing, which sounds like something I will need to do shortly.

Sponsored Links
I would just feel better talking to a repair engineer when I know what is wrong with the thing

What benefit do you think that'll give you? Discount or free of charge repair perhaps?

Is the diaphragm change the only visit it's had in 15 years?

If I know what is wrong with it, I can understand what I am having repaired, or what I am trashing for replacement. If it is a valve needing replacement and the engineer wants to change the combustion chamber, I would know more about how to proceed. It is sensible to know a bit about the problem before getting an engineer to open his tool bag.

We had a maint visit after 3yrs of use and the Diaphragm was about 5yrs ago, and he checked a few things while fixing it.

If I am on the wrong forum perhaps you could tell me where I can get some answers to my boiler questions.

a) Any idea of time/costs?
b) Would it be about the time when I need to change up for a condensing boiler (gulp)?
c) Any suggestions for that cond boiler?

There are a few things it could be. You have to have faith in the engineer that you employ rather than try to second guess him.

No one is going to be able to diagnose the issue from your description on a forum

Sponsored Links
Well this has been my first post on this forum and it is proving hard to get some helpful info out of you chaps, except "lucky its still going".

Is there a helpful plumber on these forums?

You must have some ideas about what it could be -- even 2-3 guesses -- if you have been fixing boilers. And I am sure you are proper plumbers. And you must know something about upgrading to a condensing boiler and suggesting ideas. But all you seem to be doing is attacking me for daring to ask about the dark arts of plumbing.

If I know what is wrong with it, I can understand what I am having repaired, or what I am trashing for replacement. If it is a valve needing replacement and the engineer wants to change the combustion chamber, I would know more about how to proceed. It is sensible to know a bit about the problem before getting an engineer to open his tool bag.

Surely the whole point of calling an engineer is so that he can diagnose your fault for you?

The Biasi 24S must be one of the most reliable boilers ever manufactured.

I once made the first repair visit to a block with three flats each with a 24S. They were 8 years old and had never been serviced. So the first fault in 24 boiler years!

Tony

It could be a failing pump, fan, poor circulation/ poor system water condition.

Or none of the above :p

Wether it's worth up grading your boiler would depend on what the issue is, how cheap to fix and the general condition of your boiler/ system

Everyone has ther own preference on boilers. I like Intergas and Vaillant

Hi, Terry,
Thanks for the Intergas and Vaillant suggestions.

"Surely the whole point of calling an engineer is so that he can diagnose your fault for you?"

a) No. If I can get some indication of costs and weigh that against a new one, maybe I don't spend out any cash calling a plumber to come and look at it.

b) yes, fair enough. But say one of you chaps had experience with this kind of issue already and was able to say "I'm pretty sure I know what that is, it took me 2hrs to repair the thing and the part cost £200. = a £600 bill with Vat. With the age of your boiler I would look at changing it up"

I cannot believe this is the first Biasi to suffer with this complaint and none of all you very experienced plumbers of many years in the trade have come across it. Maybe that is the case.

It is not possible to properly diagnose a boiler fault except in front of the boiler from where all the tests can be performed.

I must have repaired about 3000 Biasi 24S boilers but I have never advised replacing any.

Tony

It really does need to be looked at to diagnose this. I can't see a way around that. Which is why we can't give you an indication of costs.

Your not going to be able to short cut an egineer on this one. If you had a fault like the Fan running but the boiler isn't igniting or hot water is running hot cold ect. Then from that type of description we probably could guess/ diagnose it with an estimated cost.

look in the back of your boiler manual and make note of how many parts there are. how do you expect a guide cost to fixing it from a forum?

regional wage variations are also to be taken into consideration.

Okay, let me try another angle, here.

Say it was:
a) the 3/4-way water valve that switches it from heating to DHW. How much does one of them cost, roughly, and how long/cost to replace. If you do not have an idea of part cost I can call the Baisi people. (And don't worry about regional variations, OMG)

b) the pump .... How much does one of them cost, roughly and how long(cost) to replace.

AND, is Terry the only plumber on here that installs replacement condensing boilers? Are none of the rest of you able to offer some suggestions.

Come on chaps. I can imagine it has been a hard day but within all these punches, how about a couple of helpful ideas, eh?

I never recommend replacing a Biasi 24S.

The diverter probably has a list price of about £134 inc.

If the big screw underneath comes out easily then it would take about 48 minutes to replace it. Excluding full tests on the boiler operation afterwards.

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to replace it though. I have never need to replace one.

Tony

Tony wrote
I must have repaired about 3000 Biasi 24S boilers but I have never advised replacing any.

I equate that as repairing a 24S a day Monday to Friday, will take 11.5 years. Not factoring in days off, holidays, bank holidays, sick leave, London congestion and doing other work. 24S must be a very popular boiler to generate that kind of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back