Biasi combi boiler problem ~ help, please

They are very popular. But being a service agent generates a lot of calls!

Sponsored Links
Hi, Tony.
Thanks for that.

One more scenario, please, if you would:

c) Say it was the fan, hurting on its bearings.
How much would it cost for a replacement fan, please?

I cannot say its the fan.

But I charge my customers £133 for a new fan as part of a repair.

Tony

Thanks to Terry and Tony.

For some others on this thread, it has been a real trial, ducking your punches and persisting through the nastiness. Why are you posting here if it is just to make nothing of people or push them off the forum? {If you have a bad day, change something in your attitude/approach to the job. But don’t take it out on us posters asking for your help.}

Generally, bearing in mind that I am in the category of customer and presumably all of you are in the category of plumbers, I find it real strange that you mostly (not all) go on the accused footing, banging on about trusting the plumber, responding with suspicious put-down questions about how a customer should not know anything but simply get the cheque book.

Phew! I am in another nearby industry (not boilers) and I would never treat our customers like that. Even on the main forum for that other industry, the posters are real helpful to the other engineers and customer-types. Yes, an occasional joke and rib, but also with HELPFUL advice. And in the building industry, most builders are real helpful to customers and advise them etc and then win some work. But the plumbers here – as I say, not all of them and it might just be my bad luck on this one thread – why are you posting here if it is just to shove people away and be nasty? You are wreaking the Forum and the moderators really should get on your cases about it. The people skills are a bit lacking, chaps.

I do not know how it is when the customers call you up but you might get better business and more return customers if you lighten up and try to help them with your great and many experiences instead of protecting what you possibly know.

I called up Baisi (01922-714600) and spoke to someone in their technical advice area (for customers) and he was as pleasant as anything. He suggested switching off the boiler (ie the winter-off-summer switch) and then running the water tap….. no noise. Then switching on the boiler with the tap water running …… and the noise appeared.

His guess verdict? He thought it might be the gas pressure or dirt in venturi area, or in the combustion area (something like that) and recommended a service engineer gave it a clean out and check the pressures etc etc. Great. I know what I’m up to now and even if it turns out the fan/valve/pump needs changing, I have some idea of what costs to expect.

I can call an engineer (he offered two in my area that are familiar with these Baisi boilers) and tell him what I know and he can at least come prepared for this cleaning jobbie, even if something else reveals itself.

So, I got there. But this forum was hard work and not a pleasant experience, chaps. And for all your many experiences, only Terry was able to suggest two boilers as regards upgrading to a condensing boiler.

Sponsored Links
I, for one, couldn't care what your impression of this forum is but suggest you note the following.

* You are NOT a customer. You're on a FOC forum for which no-one has any obligation or duty of care over you.

* All your questions have been about money and diagnosing a problem, from the vaguest of descriptions, none of us can see. If this were possible no-one would bother with vans and tools and we'd all make a living on premium rate phone numbers.

* The suggestions you've had, in this instance, from the manufacturer's helpline are as p*ss in the wind as any other suggestion you could get without being in front of the boiler.

* You've created the impression of a punter who thinks this trade is so worthless that anything we fix is probably no more than flicking a switch or turning a screw, which any idiot could do for nothing.

"who thinks this trade is so worthless that anything we fix is probably no more than flicking a switch or turning a screw, which any idiot could do for nothing."

There you go again..... who said all that? Not me. It seems to be rolling around inside your own head.
"Hello.... Earth to Tibbot, come in please. Yes, here we are, fellow."

No, it is just the chaps on this thread (some of them, including yourself) that I was referring to who are really unhelpful.

You are still not even suggesting any replacement boilers but you install many and could say which ones are better than others.

You just seem to be set on fight mode.

You seem to be the only one who thinks the boiler needs replacing.

If you could resist sh**ting yourself at the thought of employing a competent engineer, this time, then on a regular (annual) basis, you could end up with a functioning boiler for a modest outlay.

As I said before your 24S is a very reliable model and I have never recommended replacing any.

We can all suggest new boilers.

But a quick search will reveal posts every week asking what boilers and they all get virtually the same replies from the same people.

Bit like asking whats the best car!

Tony

Er, no, Tibbot. It was just a question in case the costs were high and a new one might make some sense.

Hi, Tony.
Well, in my experience, a car mechanic would be able to tell me which ones break down and have higfh repair costs, and which ones do not.

A plumber, who has to repair/service many boilers... similarly.

I saw on another threat that someone was suggesting that Ideal boilers (not the very new ones) are poor and to be avoided. That kind of experience is what you all have. If your mum wanted a new boiler, you'd tell her which one, straight off, based on your experience of good/troublesome boilers.

Many people fit Ideal boilers and love them!

I have even fitted one myself.

Currently in the middle of fitting a Biasi !

But now fit more Intergas and Viessmann.

Tony

a) Any idea of time/costs?
b) Would it be about the time when I need to change up for a condensing boiler (gulp)?
c) Any suggestions for that cond boiler?

This is your original question and no-one has suggested a new boiler. Only you can decide if you want one.

The people you've prejudged are the same that are trying to advise you, cost effectively, to repair your boiler. However as they're unable to do this by remote control or quote you from some sort of nationalised menu price, you've taken to your soap box.

If your mum wanted a new boiler, you'd tell her which one, straight off, based on your experience of good/troublesome boilers.

They're a machine, not a person, so will work or not work according to how they're installed and maintained. Many installers hate anything Worcester but customers are often brainwashed into choosing one.

Well, thanks, Tibbot.
That is helpful info.

I want to avoid the brainwashing from distributors and manufacturers and talk to the ones that really know..... you.

In case there's any interest, I spoke with a plumbing contractor and they also think that the symptoms described sound like the gas pressures need checking and a good clean out, and they will be along next week to do a full service. The conversation was nice any easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back