Biasi combi boiler problem ~ help, please

Certainly the gas pressures need checking every year at the annual service as well as at any other time when any work is done on the boiler.

What you have described is not a very good description of the effect when gas pressure is far too high.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi, Tony.
... and I have not had the boiler annually serviced. I would guess it has been a good 5years since an engineer had his hands on it. Not good.

Out of interest, if one of these boilers were suffering with gas pressure too high/too low and/or some build-up of dirt (maybe consequential or completely separate) what kind of symptoms would you expect to find with the boiler. eg noises/performance etc etc etc.

Can you say what one might expect?

It is hard to know if you are being helpful or just trying to derail a conversation, 69.

Could you give a definition for NOA and PVM?

Sponsored Links
Just to be clear, i am not trying to be helpful nor derail a conversation.

just making a comment.

Well, can you speak English, please, so I can understand what you are commenting? What does NOA and PVM mean?

Guess this is just more of what I was no about, higher up, how the people on this particular string are pretty unhelpful and obtuse. And I guess 69 refers to your inverted approach on another subject, yes?

I just hope the plumber who comes to do my service next week is nothing like you, 69. Won't know wtf he's on about with such a strange vocabulary.

I just hope the plumber who comes to do my service next week is nothing like you, 69. Won't know wtf he's on about with such a strange vocabulary.

have you told the person coming that it hasnt been serviced for 5 years?

:mrgreen:

it isnt that strange, when you understand it. its a bit like quizzes, they're
only hard if you dont know the answers. ;)

....... yes. I told them everything I know about it, excluding some of the nonsense on this thread which was just no good to anybody.

It is very rare that I have seen that model with seriously high burner pressures of near 15 mbar rather then the expected 10 mbar.

This is usually because the supply pipework is unable to supply much more gas than the design power.

The noise is often like an extreme kettling but without low frequencies. But it is more as a result of the lime scale which forms inside the HE than the higher burner pressure.

Tony

The Gas/Plumber came this morning and serviced the boiler. He cleaned out the heat exchanger. (I was expecting that to mean the water side for some reason but this work involved hoovering out the combustion/air side). He did all the other checks and said the boiler was fine and needing no repairs.

The noise was from the fan bearings and he said it was nothing to worry about. It would run for 2-3 years at least like that. The noise is a bit annoying, maybe but it is not any problem for the boiler. A new fan would cost £135(list)+Labour+Vat, when it does go, and there were plenty of spares for this model. But he said not to bother -- just wait until it finally falls over and then get it replaced.

As for a new boiler, his view was not to fix something if it was working okay, and the cost of installing a condensing boiler would have a lengthy payback, considering the existing boiler is okay. Suggested Worcester or Vaillant.

All in all a very pleasant plumber. A breath of fresh air after putting up with some of the old grumpies on this string (excepting the few helpful types.)

The fans can make a slight noise rather like a Jubilee line train starting.

I hardly ever see a fan of that type become badly worn with too much movement in the bearings.

But they can also seize up when the bearings get older and dry out. They can usually be lubricated by an RGI to keep them going for a few days until a replacement can be fitted.

I keep them in stock and by chance had to replace one yesterday!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back