BIASI RIVA ADVANCE HE NOT WORKING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help!
I have the BIASI RIVA ADVANCE HE M110B.32SM/C 47-583-12 boiler, just over four years old.

Was all working fine until yesterday midday, used hot water in the morning and had the heating on for around an hour, then noticed the heating had stopped and the flame lockout light had appeared.

When demand for heating is requested, both outer lights flash simultaneously for approx 1 min, then the middle red light appears with the flame lockout light.

When demand for hot water is requested, both outer lights flash alternately, the flame lockout light sometimes appears, not always though.

On inspection the condensate trap appeared to be full, I emptied it and cleaned the ball, when it started to empty I heard water flow down the condensate drain, I can only assume this meant water had backed up, I left the boiler off over night in case the backed up water had triggered a shut off and needed to dry out, however this morning it is still not working.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Neil

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When was this boiler last properly serviced?

The condensate trap is meant to be full as it provides a gas seal using the water pressure inside it.

Tony

Hi

The boiler was last serviced in April, I didn't think the trap was suppose to be full to the top, I thought it was supposed to be above the bottom of the inner pipe where the ball can rest to prevent it from running totally empty, when I released the nut at the bottom of the trap there was a large volume of water that went down the outlet, suggesting that there was water backed up inside the pipe leading to the burner, there was also some sediment in the trap.

In response to PrenticeboyofDerry, the discharge pipe is clear. Also for info when I had the boiler installed I requested that the pipe be ran internally to prevent any chance of freezing.

Sponsored Links
You can pour water down the drain pipe to check that it is free. About 1 litre to be sure. You may need to use a bit of tube to get the water into the pipe.

If its blocked then that's usually at the point of connection to the drainage system.

There is a common problem with the balls as they can get sticky and jam in place.

They were only fitted for a limited time and you could remove the ball if the drain really tests as clear!

Tony

Hi Tony

When I get home I will pour plenty of water down to ensure it is clear, that said I have removed the flexible condensate outlet pipe from the the main pipe going to the drain and that is clear, however the boiler still will not fire up, quick update from my first post, last night when I tried the boiler again, I turned the heating on the boiler did everything as I mentioned in the first post but it took a few mins before it locked out, I don't know if this is of any importance but as soon as the demand for heating is switched on both outer lights immediately flash simultaneously, even though the boiler is still going through it's usual start up check, this could be normal as it's not something I would normally watch for.

Kind regards

Neil

If condensate is blocked then the boiler will fire up and run for a while until the combustion chamber gets water in it. It sounds very odd if this happens! [ I am assuming there is no electrical connection to the top of the condensate trap ! They were fitted to other models but not to the M110 ]

If that did happen because the ball was stuck it can be very difficult for it to restart as all the water in the combustion chamber prevents it from igniting and detecting the flame.

The green lights flash together with a demand for CH and alternately for DHW so that is normal.

Tony Glazier

Hi Tony

You are correct this model does not have the electrical connection on the trap.

When I originally released the bottom of the trap there was quite a bit of water that came out, (more than the trap would hold) this is why I thought that it may have backed up into the combustion chamber, hence why I had hoped if this had been the case it would have dried out, I'm starting to think the service I had done wasn't done properly!!!

Neil

Unless it was someone with a good knowledge of Biasi boilers then it would be rare for anyone to take out the ball and clean it or throw it away.

But he should have cleaned the trap if there was a lot of dirt in it. Like more than 4 mm at the bottom.

Tony

Tony

There wasn't that much dirt in the trap, I could be barking up wrong the tree, if water has made it to the combustion chamber would that have caused permanent damage, or do you think it could be something else

Neil

I would say its certainly not good for it.

But I have attended several where the condensate pipe has blocked and they seemed to be working alright after my attention.

But I cannot comment on any long term effects.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for all your advice, I got the boiler working again, removed and cleaned the flame detecting electrode, refitted and everything worked as before.

Neil

Sorry to say that a DIYer should not be doing that!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back