Bicycle repeat punctures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone at work was saying that they have repeated punctures mainly on their rear bicycle wheel. Apparently by the valve stem.

they have replaced the rim tapes, I am wondering if either the rim has a rough area inside the stem hole, or the stem nut is at fault? I guess the other option is that a spoke is poking through the rim tape.

i don’t see the actual damage so am trying to diagnose through remote!

Sponsored Links
Tell 'em to get a puncture resistant tyre and a self sealing inner tube.

An old trick is to fill a bowl of water, inflate the inner tube, and put the tube in the bowl, turning it round and round til you see air bubbles forming where the leak is. Run your fingers around the inside of the tyre to see if you can feel a sharp object that may be causing the puncture. The smallest piece of glass or a nail can do the damage.

Sponsored Links
I believe that it's a recurrent issue with new tubes? Better quality tubes have also been fitted.
Plus new rim tapes?
It's done for her by her ex partner who's a keen cyclist.

I am more into motorcycles but all I can think is a damaged rim or spoke end that's sticking out.
possibly the valve stem area is damaged?

If it was a damaged rim or a spoke sticking through, then an experienced cyclist should've spotted that, i'd have thought. Since new tubes have been fitted then it may well be the problem lies within the tyre, assuming that hasn't also been replaced. Sometimes you have to really take care to check the interior and feel if a teeny-tiny speck of metal is doing the harm.

it sould be dead easy to find you have an inner and outer edge on the inner tube and a valve' measure from the valve and draw a chalk line around the tyre and wheel both sides off the valve and concentrate there including with a magnet
if you dont have any joy move your search 50mm either side off the chalk marks incase the tyre rotated a bit also put a valve cap on in case its the valve

Sponsored Links
Back