Velux flexible sun tunnel leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has two of these which bring light into her ensuite and hallway to two storey extension.
Over the weekend she noticed water dripping and pooling around inner ceiling plate, but doesn't recall this happening before.
I took a look yesterday and managed to get the inner diffuser out.
Foiled tube appears dry except for inner edge at bottom of fall where there is some water which I consider to be condensation which has flowed down. There's also a small pierce in the foil where an edge of some hardboard from the loft space has poked through during installation, it looks like!
The loft space above is very small and I can't get fully in there as its sealed apart from a small access panel!
The "tube" snakes slightly between the apertures: not a straight drop!
The leak 'appears' to be outside the tube, collecting on the rim of the ceiling flange.
I am unable to inspect around the outside of the flange, from inside the tube, as it is all sealed internally with foil tape!
I went on the roof and all 'appears' to be sound i.e: no slipped tiles, cracks or flashing defects!
Could this be a symptom of driving rain from an unusual direction? Heavy condensation?
How might I proceed as anything I do to access around the flange will be destructive to the foil tube!
Any suggestions would be great...

Sponsored Links
Sounds very like condensation - seal the puncture hole first.

The recent rainfall coupled with high winds may have found an ingress point. One that may never appear again.

I would wait for the next heavy downpour before attempting any kind of repair.

If it drips when it rains - then it's a leak.

If it drips when it is dry and very cold outside - it's condensation.

Sponsored Links
The recent rainfall coupled with high winds may have found an ingress point. One that may never appear again.

I would wait for the next heavy downpour before attempting any kind of repair.

Yeah, that's what I reckon to. As mentioned, she's not had it before so makes me think it's not condensation... I have put her on leak watch ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back