Big Bangs this morning on heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I have a 'old fashioned' heating system with boiler and tanks in the loft etc..

Central heating/HW came on as usual this morning...but after about an hour there were mega rumblings/banging from the pipework in the airing cupboard...couldn't work out what it was...

Went downstairs and turned the timer off..but the rumblings kept going for a while after. Thought I'd better have a look in the loft in case the expansion/overflow tank had run low or something? and it was very hot...so I suspect the system had been venting into the expansion tank.

What would cause this...is this the kettling people talk about?

Any idea how to locate the fault?

Thanks everyone

Welsford

Sponsored Links
Sounds very like your boiler stat has gone and boiler overheating

How old is old fashioned? What boiler is it? I agree could be boiler stat failure. Banging in system can also be lack of circulation. Have you checked pump? Is it a fully pumped or gravity primary system?

It's a Potterton CFL 60 Kingfisher..I think it's about 3 yrs old.

It's fully pumped.

Pump seems ok..it's whirring away.

I've played with the thermostats etc and turned the boiler one down a bit..seems to be ok at the moment..but something defo went adrift this morning

Sponsored Links
welsford46 said:
It's a Potterton CFL 60 Kingfisher..I think it's about 3 yrs old.

It's fully pumped.

Pump seems ok..it's whirring away.

I've played with the thermostats etc and turned the boiler one down a bit..seems to be ok at the moment..but something defo went adrift this morning

This boiler has a pump over run built in which will keep the pump running for about 5 mins after the call for heat/boiler goes off. The pump is controlled by the boiler. That is why it kept rumbling after you switched it off. This boiler also has a overheat stat which if operates in case of thermostat failure will lock out boiler and the red light will come on at the front and you have to reset it.

A pump that appears to be spinning is not guaranteed to be actually circulating!! I've learn't that the hard way in the past!

Do you have a by-pass valve fitted in your pipe work in the correct position?

I still suspect flow problems or knowing Potterton it could be PCB control problems as with th rogue Suprima boiler

It seems to be working ok at the moment...maybe I'll get a rude awakening in the morning.

The boiler is going to be replaced later in the year as part of an extension to the kitchen...so I don't want to spend loads on it.

There does seem to be a tap coming from the boiler about every 2 secs when it's firing..not sure if that is sinister.

So is an intermittent problem likely to be the boiler stat/thermistor.

Sorry I don't know if there's a bypass on the system

Thanks

Welsford

Even if the boiler stat has gone, in theory the overheat stat should cut the boiler out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back