Big cracks in filler used to bridge gap between skirting and

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Had new conservatory built last year. When guy did laminate and skirting (not builder who did plastering) he warned us that it was difficult to get the skirting straight and he had to use filler to fill gaps between skirting and wall etc. Apparently this was due to skirting not being done before plastering etc. He said to keep an eye for cracks etc but it’s been grand until now. Just noticed some big cracks in the sealant so need to address.

I’m not criticising guy but now need to fix this.

What filler would be best in these circumstances and can I just fill the cracked area or would I need to do the whole wall?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Out of interest, did he say why it was difficult to get the skirts on flat? In a new build like that it should be a piece of cake. Could have been a Problem with the plastering?

You wails have small gaps in places but nothing to big, how big exactly are the gaps? and also check there is no movement in the skirting as this could have caused the caulk to crack, i imagine that's what he would have used

Skirting goes on after the plaster so it's a case on relying on the previous trade to get it right.

Thanks for replies.

Gap is about 1cm in places. Not everywhere, just a few areas, longest being about 12".

The guy definitely used loads of caulk as he couldn't butt the skirting to the plaster.

How would I tell if skirting moved?

Sponsored Links
bad fitter in the first place. he should have got it up to the plaster. you said he thought the plaster should be done AFTER the skirting. Well if he is that stupid then he has probably just bodged the skirting on with blobs of no nails and caulked the top in. He should have got the skirting pulled back. You either start again or just re caulk it. Maybe put a little grab adhesive down any big holes. If its going to be painted over i always screw and fill skirtings where i can. espeically in conservatories where its hot/cold so extreme.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back