Big diagonal crack appeared under wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a maisonette flat of a large house built circa 1900. The downstairs flat was empty for a couple of years and in much need of tlc. In the last few months new owners have been renovating down stairs. Literally all of the plaster has come off the walls and been replaced, the ceilings have been replaced etc...it has been gutted. Problem is, I am now finding, so far 5 areas of cracked plaster upstairs. Mostly superficial and can be filled painted etc, but more worrying I have discovered a diagonal crack about 3 feet or more long on an internal wall under wallpaper. This was definitely not there until recently and plaster on the other side of this wall has also cracked. I'm concerned the integrity of the wall is compromised due to all the banging etc downstairs. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Banging can crack old plaster.

If the people below have carried out structural work and it's the wall that's cracked not just the plaster, that's another matter. You'll need to investigate.

Sponsored Links
As "woody" above, I have seen a load of Insurance claim damage down to the down stairs neighbour banging about.

Of most concern and cost to repair is high if a wall has been "adapted" or "removed" in the flat below, one i saw the basement flat owner removed a timber stud wall and there was severe crack damage to all three flats above.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back