Big gap at top of patio doors - adjustable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not easy to see in the pic but there's a huge gap at the top of this door (if I look at it from the right angle I can see a lot of daylight and there's a big draft) and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it in terms of adjustments?

I've seen posts where the UPVC frame has buckled because a lintel has been removed when it was installed but the lintel is still in place.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 1,238
Sponsored Links
There's usually a good range of adjustment available from the hinges. If you can show us a picture of them, we may be able to help you with the adjustment.
There can also be problems if a door isn't 'toe and heeled' correctly. I.e. if the glass isn't braced within the frame, the frame may sag (turning from a rectangle into a diamond!). If there is a big gap in the middle of the French doors, but no gap closer to the hinges, this may be the issue.

There's usually a good range of adjustment available from the hinges. If you can show us a picture of them, we may be able to help you with the adjustment.
There can also be problems if a door isn't 'toe and heeled' correctly. I.e. if the glass isn't braced within the frame, the frame may sag (turning from a rectangle into a diamond!). If there is a big gap in the middle of the French doors, but no gap closer to the hinges, this may be the issue.

Thanks for your reply.

I will post some hinge pictures shortly but it's exactly as you say - big gap in the middle but no gap closer to the hinges. It occasionally catches when we shut it but it only does it for a couple of days before working freely again.

Assuming bracing the glass is a big job?

Not a big job, but you will need to be able to remove the glazing beads (and not let the sealed units fall out!).
And you'll need some plastic shims to brace the glass within the frame.
There's plenty of videos on YouTube showing you how to remove the beads and others showing 'toe and heeling'

Sponsored Links
Also be careful as it may not be the main door that has dropped , it could be the ' slave door ' .When 'Toe and heeling ' make sure you don't use anything metal between the sealed unit and frame when placing packers

Thanks All,

This seems to make sense - however I've looked at several videos and they all seem to be about installing new glass - looking at the glass it looks like it's 'in right' so I don't really understand what the aim of reinstalling the glass is. (I'm not questioning this advice - just not really understanding it!)

By using packers you can physically lift the leading edge of the door. If you add packers to the top edge ( non hinge side ) the door sash should lift, you will need to use either a wooden or plastic ' wedge ' type tool to lift the upvc door sash up off the glass to try and get an extra packer in it. Failing that it would be hinge adjustment

This link might give you a better idea:
https://www.askabuilder.co.uk/how-to/toe-and-heel
Basically, even though from the outside the glass looks like it's 'in right', internally, it might not be.
You can consider the glass as a great big heavy rectangle.
This rectangle has gaps all the way around it to allow for expansion.
This means that there is the possibility of the uPVC frame deforming under the weight of the glass.
You can only find out and rectify, by taking the glazing beading off and effectively reinstalling the sealed unit.
By bracing the glass in the right places, it stops the uPVC frame from deforming and keeps its rectangular shape.
I hope that makes sense! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back