Big Generators

S

sjwkmje

Hi,

On the subject of BIG generators you might like these generators.

Never really shown these photos before, I was employed there when these were taken and did not really want to put them on a public forum. Now I have resigned three years ago, and the electrical engineering manager has now resigned I cannot see why not:p

There uploaded on my gallery on my website here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/adamhorden/BackupGeneratorsWalsallHospitalsNHS

You will notice the main Merlin Gerin ACB never had a padlock this is on the output of the 2400A gen set, and the generator house was never that secure!

The first gen set covered the main parts of the hospital, all of west wing. There was then a couple more gen sets for the other wings.

I miss that job :(

Any questions just ask, I might start a new thread about them if there is interest.

There are some photos of the HV disp gear as well. We had our own substations on site and we could supply the grid if required. Power factor on site was unity.

Adam

Sponsored Links
Now I have resigned three years ago

Why did you resign? (If you don't mind me asking)

Not at all, I was NHS trained in electronics with some electrical work, did my ONC in electrical and electronic engineering so got to work in both areas. They brought in Agenda For Change and basically after four years service told me that if I did not have a degree for the posistion I was working under (I was trained in house and was doing the job) they would reduce my pay close to trainee pay. But expected me to do the same job with the same responsabilites while under that pay for 7 years while they paid for me to do a degree in electrical and electronic engineering. So after 4 years of promotions and climbing the lader and was working at level 4 I was going to go back down to level 2 pay but doing the same job.

Natrually my response was to appeal, it was turned down, so quite a few members of staff left. I left and started a degree in electronic engineering at Leeds uni.

I had no ties to anything so it seemed like the best idea at the time. I had a trade so did jobs on the side until Part p came into force. Now I am looking at becoming compliant under Part P and getting back into domestic work.

Adam

Sponsored Links
A degree and doing domestic can’t see where imagery numbers, Thevein’s and Norton’s theorems, Kirchhoff’s laws will be used in domestic. Rather a waste of a degree doing domestic! Semi-retirement is it Adam?

A degree and doing domestic can’t see where imagery numbers, Thevein’s and Norton’s theorems, Kirchhoff’s laws will be used in domestic. Rather a waste of a degree doing domestic! Semi-retirement is it Adam?
Don't forget Millman's theorm either!

They can be revelant to a certain extent for some of those more quirky faults. Any knowledge is good knowledge.

More of a side line, I still have a couple of years left on my degree. Just enjoyed the pratical side of electrical installation. Allways had pride in my work. Some stuff I did a while ago http://gallery.adamhorden.net/gallery/v/electrical_installation_consumer_unit/ and http://gallery.adamhorden.net/gallery/main.php.

I guess I just don't know where to go. I have all ways gone multi discaplin and stayed to both electrical and electronics. My degree units next year will contain electrical units, 3 phase, power generation, motors etc.

I guess I need to think about my long term career.

Adam

DSCF8765.JPG

How did you finish this off? I can't see anything to show it is in a wiring zone?

DSCF8784.JPG

This one is a little deviant with the wiring zone too? And I hope you finished off with soe grommets (far easy to fit first!). I dont see the point in removing two knockouts, I prefer to put two cables ina single hole.

DSCF8788.JPG

I have a set of those very drill bits - very usefull. What flavour pringles are those :LOL:

dscf8798.jpg

This was my concern :rolleyes:

How did you finish this off? I can't see anything to show it is in a wiring zone?

This one is a little deviant with the wiring zone too? And I hope you finished off with soe grommets (far easy to fit first!). I dont see the point in removing two knockouts, I prefer to put two cables ina single hole.

I have a set of those very drill bits - very usefull. What flavour pringles are those :LOL:

This was my concern :rolleyes:

Everything has grommets, I all ways fit grommets. There is one fitted, the others I slipped over the cables. As for zones the cable you see in that bottom hole was moved over so it was directly under the KO box. The hole was there to help with fishing. Looking at my on site guide the zones for the sockets are correct.

The tales that run in the wall are not in a zone :rolleyes: only just spotted that.Big big oversight on my behalf. There is another set in that wall for the first CU. I cut them as far back into the wall as possible, capped over them. Took me a wile to chase the wall but a 24V matika sds chissel made ease of it. Right behind that is the DNO meter cabinet. The tails are protected by a 60A switch fuse in the DNO meter cabinet. Anything I can do now to show they are in the wall?

Can we get all this moved to a new thread? I hate to have hijacked RF's orginal thread. I showed the generator pics as it shows the earthing arangements we had in place.

What do you think of the job? I am all ways up for constructive criticism. Don't think there is any of the actual CU or wiring just cable routes.

Adam

Magnify the image - the LH one is OK, the middle one might be, but there's no way that the RH one has a bend radius much larger than the diameter of the cable...

Adam,
regarding pics 40.41.42, and 43 they look suspiciously like GEC System4 panels to me. Where you involved in their installation?

I worked on these for nearly 10 years and actually had a hand in the R&D of the merlin Gerin ACB. It was a BITCH! to set up correctly in the early days but I believe they eventually got it to work ok.

Adam,
regarding pics 40.41.42, and 43 they look suspiciously like GEC System4 panels to me. Where you involved in their installation?

I worked on these for nearly 10 years and actually had a hand in the R&D of the merlin Gerin ACB. It was a ****! to set up correctly in the early days but I believe they eventually got it to work ok.

I was not involved with there installation. That was left to the electrical engineering team and well before my time, I worked in the medical electronics engineering team. We had some right problems with the ACBs while I was there. I remember one day the power dropped generators kicked in automatically as they were designed to and instead of syncing and switching back over to grid power when it came back up the ACB dropped out on the grid supply and the ACB on the generator supply stayed closed and the whole site ran on the gen set for a few days before there was a solution. The solution came in the form of a very big gen set on the back of a very large HGV lorry from CAT. No one wanted the risk of shutting the gen set down and manually pumping the ACBs and not been able to go back to grid power if anything went wrong. So they had a second gen set on site just in case. One of those ACBs on that pannel was used to connect in an external generator.

Then there was the time the gen set ACB dropped in and stayed closed, and the grid one also stayed closed but the ACB on the panel opened as it should and ended up supplying the grid out of phase not synced and not the site. I remember the engineering manager telling me that was brown trouser time while they shut the gen set down before he ripped off its mounts and getting the ACBs pumped in the right posistion.

Adam

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back