Big hole in dining- room wall when Central heating vent removed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the original central heating apparatus removed and where the hot air-vent was is now a big gap in the wall in between the dining room and kltchen. Any ideas on how to fill this up? I was thinking putting house bricks there and then using easi fill.

Attachments

• Central heating vent hole 1.jpg
    Central heating vent hole 1.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Central heating vent hole 2.jpg
    Central heating vent hole 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
If it’s timber, cut some plasterboard back and fit new plasterboard in the hole both sides, fill joints.

If it’s timber, cut some plasterboard back and fit new plasterboard in the hole both sides, fill joints.

When you say fill joints with new plasterboard how would I keep the plasterboard fastened in place?

Sponsored Links
The joints would be where it joins the existing wall/board.
The attached photo here is from the dining room side, there is a radiator directly underneath. I was thinking use tape to cover one side and just fill up with loads of filler from other side. I don't want it to dry into a block that just eventually falls out one side. Alternatively as you say ,nail or screw some perpendicular girder into those side-joints and work on filling it all up.

Attachments

• Central heating vent hole  3.jpg
    Central heating vent hole 3.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 36
Cut the existing plasterboard back a bit so you have something to screw the new plasterboard to.

I've filled those many times.
Put some inch baton around set back 14mm.
Top, bottom, both sides. Make a frame.
Buy 6x3 12.5mm plasterboard (2400x1200) 12.5mm

Cut to fit hole.
Pva cut board edges and the hole in wall edges. Will stop filler cracking as very dry.
Mix up filler. Troupret powder 2kg box.
Blob around hole
Push board in then carefully remove filler that is squeezed out joints. Sponge clean.
Straight edge across will get board bang on level.
When dry. 4 x 32mm screws one on each side and in the centre and top and bottom. So one screw top and bottom plus both sides.
Better to tape joints now but if papering don't bother. Just fill and sand smooth.

I've filled those many times.
Put some inch baton around set back 14mm.
Top, bottom, both sides. Make a frame.
Buy 6x3 12.5mm plasterboard (2400x1200) 12.5mm

Cut to fit hole.
Pva cut board edges and the hole in wall edges. Will stop filler cracking as very dry.
Mix up filler. Troupret powder 2kg box.
Blob around hole
Push board in then carefully remove filler that is squeezed out joints. Sponge clean.
Straight edge across will get board bang on level.
When dry. 4 x 32mm screws one on each side and in the centre and top and bottom. So one screw top and bottom plus both sides.
Better to tape joints now but if papering don't bother. Just fill and sand smooth.

By the way i should've mentioned,it doesn't have to look good just be sturdy because i'll be hanging a picture over one side and the kitchen-side will have a cabinet covering it over so no one will see it.

Short cut easy way then.
Buy handy board. It's a small 9mm plasterboard sheet..
I've bobbed filler around and pushed board in. Wait until its sets and fill/skim over..

Still worth adding pva to dry edges. Wood glue will do the job.
Crack on

Short cut easy way then.
Buy handy board. It's a small 9mm plasterboard sheet..
I've bobbed filler around and pushed board in. Wait until its sets and fill/skim over..

Still worth adding pva to dry edges. Wood glue will do the job.
Crack on

So put the filler on the edges ie the brickwork first then shove plasterboard in and push it down into the filler? Then once it's all stuck in and set, then you cake the gap in filler?

Yes.

I use troupret mixed powder all the way around. Gently push board in. Leave to set.
The material build up behind will hold it

I do pva everything as I said

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back