BIG MESS UP HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just fitted a new double plug in living room. All was well did first tester with plug not screwed in to make sure all was well, it was. Screwed plug in and plugged in now plug won't work! Plugs in living room/hallway/bedroom not working but kitchen and second bedroom are?

What's happend?

Sponsored Links
How did you test the plug to ensure 'all was well' ?

You have probably caught a wire when you have screwed the socket back or a wire has come out and shorted. This has caused the protective device and/or RCD to operate.

You need to investigate before trying to re-instate the circuit.

I tested with my iPhone, it worked. Turned off who flats power supply. Screwed new unit in. Tried again with Iphone and it didn't work. Now no plugs in living room/hallway/bedroom wont work but kitchen and second bedroom do?

Sponsored Links
So opened up socket and look's like ive fryed all the wires is this a big job to be changed?

Stop now and call an electrician, you've failed on a basic task, repairing this is beyond you.

Additionally, in future I would use a cheap table lamp or something to "test" rather than an expensive iPhone ;)

At least you are calling it a socket now, progress :)

Turns out I had wired perfectly! But I caught a bit of metal on way which caused reaction. Electrician here now!

Most up how much your accident cost you :D

You won't do that again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back