Bigger Loft Hatch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
My existing loft hatch is a bit messy and is 665w and 656 long, I was thinking of making it longer so that I don't scratch my back on the way up or down, I haven't as yet, but I do tuck my back in and even then it's close. I was thinking of making it longer say 700 long, I can find a made to measure Fire resistant one but that's £324, is there an easy way of finding one that has the same width (665) and a bit longer than 656? I guess the alternative is to make one out of wood. Then comes the question, do I leave it the size it is to save taking the achitarave (fancy bit of wood around the hatch) and possible make a mess of the ceiling, or is that fairly easy Not to damage and go big?

Many Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
You could take it the next joist, what room have you got between the joists?.

I fitted a 560 x 680 recently into my dads loft and that was big enough for me.

Hi All,
My existing loft hatch is a bit messy and is 665w and 656 long, I was thinking of making it longer so that I don't scratch my back on the way up or down, I haven't as yet, but I do tuck my back in and even then it's close. I was thinking of making it longer say 700 long, I can find a made to measure Fire resistant one but that's £324, is there an easy way of finding one that has the same width (665) and a bit longer than 656? I guess the alternative is to make one out of wood. Then comes the question, do I leave it the size it is to save taking the achitarave (fancy bit of wood around the hatch) and possible make a mess of the ceiling, or is that fairly easy Not to damage and go big?

Many Thanks,
Steve

You will make a mess whether you widen it or lengthen the opening, make sure the cut joists are properly supported during the job and after.

Blup.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, maybe I'll go the easy option and just replace the loft hatch with Plywood or blockboard, something like that, I'm not sure that MDF has enough grip for the screws for the hinge.
I did think even if I pay for a made to measure, the actual opening into the loft will be smaller because they have what I would call a flange around it, I guess 20mm all round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back