Bill Dispute

Most disputes of this nature go via the Small Claims fast track, and end up in a magistrates Court.

There are other options available.

Sponsored Links
Most disputes of this nature go via the Small Claims fast track, and end up in a magistrates Court.
Not in this country.

The "Small Claims fast track" is not a court - it's the colloquial name for the County Court, which has a dedicated process for handling claims that are purely financial and that are small, where "small" is currently £5,000.

There are other options available.
Do you mean litigation, or the clandestine deployment of four burly fellows paying a ungentlemanly twilight visit to the contractor?

If the former, please give an example of another option for claiming financial remedy where the matter is not complex and the sum claimed is no more than £25,000.

Its a small claims procedure in the County Court, mostly done by post but an appearance in front of a recorder or judge can occur if the parties fail to reach agreement.

The main feature is that neither side can claim any legal costs ( unless they have been vexatious ).

A Magistrates court deals with Council Tax non payments, drunkenness and most motoring offences.

One of my clients wanted me to join her on the bench but then we realised that I am not their current recruitment profile because I am white, middle aged and middle class!

Tony

I am thought of as an 'expensive' repairer, but I would still have only charged retail for the fan, £215, £60 call out and £20 return fee to fit, so £295 + VAT.

You have been well and truly ripped off :mad: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Its a small claims procedure in the County Court...
That had already been covered.

The main feature is that neither side can claim any legal costs...
That's misleading - all of the applicant's court fees can be added to the sum claimed.

A Magistrates court deals with Council Tax non payments, drunkenness and most motoring offences.
To name but a few...

Is this Goldberg fellow trying to help, or on a personal enrichment crusade?

His posts come across as unhelpful self aggrandizement.

Is this Goldberg fellow trying to help, or on a personal enrichment crusade?

According to his profile, he is a wind up merchant.
If that is true, he is probably not really trying to help.
If it is a lie, well, then he is a liar.

From a legal point of view, I don't think you have a single leg to stand on.
You did not agree a price or a limit before, hence little redress on that part.
As you called them and asked to come around, doorstep selling does not apply.

Read the regulations, he has a leg to stand on esp as he didn't agree a price before hand, and regardless of whether they are invited or not, the regulations apply.

Clearly the guy is incompetent, so I would think the OP has a case on that score alone.

Read the regulations, he has a leg to stand on esp as he didn't agree a price before hand, and regardless of whether they are invited or not, the regulations apply.
How can doorstep selling rules apply to a situation that does not qualify as doorstep sales?
Doorstep selling applies to cold callers or in other words: door to door salesmen.

How can doorstep selling rules apply to a situation that does not qualify as doorstep sales?
They are made to apply by including the wording that makes then apply.

Doorstep selling applies to cold callers or in other words: door to door salesmen.
True, but they also apply to any contract formed away from the registered premises of the business or tradesperson.

..they also apply to any contract formed away from the registered premises of the business or tradesperson.
I know it is an assumption, but I guess that when the installer picked up the phone and agreed to come and do the job, he was at his place of business.
Following your reasoning, any market trader would have to give you a cooling off period.

I know it is an assumption, but I guess that when the installer picked up the phone and agreed to come and do the job, he was at his place of business.
If you say so.

Following your reasoning, any market trader would have to give you a cooling off period.
Why don't you ignore what I say and just read the legislation?

if you read the threads on these regulations you will see that they apply when the work is done in the customer's home regardless of where the appointment was made from.

There is no secure way of getting away from the regulations apart from asking the customer to sign a disclaimer stating that the work is an emergency requirement and the customer wants it to be done within the cooling off period. That would have to be carefully worded to have any chance of being effective. Since no legal work has been done on this topic there is no recommended format. Thats another thing the Association or the Institute should be doing.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back