Biomass boilers and thermal stores....

Sponsored Links
I & the rest of the British tax payers paid for that, I hope you're proud of yourself!!! Lines of people outside Food Banks & you are scrounging like that?
Poetic justice when it falls to bits in a couple of years......😀😀

He he he.....The Saturday night shag not go as planned, Dickie?...

Have fitted loads to buffers and the out to space heating/DHW or plates.
Not yet gutted one to a thermal store.

Lee, was reading between the lines and figured that he would be getting a Buffer.... If his installer was fitting him a therml store then he would know where his DHW was coming from..

Not at all, I've multiple choices for how the system goes, I can spec the system to exactly how I want without having to follow what anyone 'installer normally does'.

The only thing I'd like is good flow/pressure on the hot which lee seems to understand.

The flow and pressure of your DHW is dictated by the flow and pressure of the supply of the water entering your property.... I would prefer to use an unvented cylinder for DHW... Just for simplicity and the ability to obtain spares from your local plumbers merchants off the shelf and the back up of an electric immersion.... add to that the benefits of hot water in the event of a power cut.....Though plates can perform pretty well too....

Sponsored Links
The flow and pressure of your DHW is dictated by the flow and pressure of the supply of the water entering your property.... I would prefer to use an unvented cylinder for DHW... Just for simplicity and the ability to obtain spares from your local plumbers merchants off the shelf and the back up of an electric immersion.... add to that the benefits of hot water in the event of a power cut.....Though plates can perform pretty well too....

I've a boxed new oso250ltr unvented cylinder so its no extra cost to use it. Just the most efficient way to use the pellet boiler to heat it, trying to prevent too much cycling. Although effecta do say that their new range are designed for domestic use(all their range is domestic) and doesn't suffer from cycling problems. The also do one with a hot water cylinder built in which looks interesting however I'm waiting to confirm the flow rates off it. It would make for a 1/2 day install as effectively there's only 4 pipes coming off it.

I & the rest of the British tax payers paid for that, I hope you're proud of yourself!!! Lines of people outside Food Banks & you are scrounging like that?
Poetic justice when it falls to bits in a couple of years......😀😀

He he he.....The Saturday night s**g not go as planned, Dickie?...

What's my erectile disfunction got to do with it matey??....😡😡

Certainly valid points fella....👍

With plate heat exchangers you'll have no backup. However, with a big FO buffer tank & plate HE you'll have at least a couple of days hot water.

You could argue that we're just getting some of the tax back we've paid over the years.

With a 5 year warranty there's not much to worry about.

Well yes, a strange way to get a tax rebate???!!

It's normal for these types of appliances to be fitted in rural areas, which invariably are more difficult to access & service. In remote areas of the Highlands of Scotland, a supplementary heating system would be recommended, for when these appliances go t.ts up - which they undoubtedly will!!

Be warned!!!

With plate heat exchangers you'll have no backup. However, with a big FO buffer tank & plate HE you'll have at least a couple of days hot water.

Yeah, both ways have their pros and cons....But it seems that the OP already has an unvented in the box so I don't really know what the smeg he is asking or why

Yeah, both ways have their pros and cons....But it seems that the OP already has an unvented in the box so I don't really know what the smeg he is asking or why

Good use of the term smeg :mrgreen:

I have it, don't have to use it. Just the best way to get DHW when using a pellet boiler really. There's a good few ways it seems.

You could argue that we're just getting some of the tax back we've paid over the years.

With a 5 year warranty there's not much to worry about.

Well yes, a strange way to get a tax rebate???!!

It's normal for these types of appliances to be fitted in rural areas, which invariably are more difficult to access & service. In remote areas of the Highlands of Scotland, a supplementary heating system would be recommended, for when these appliances go t.ts up - which they undoubtedly will!!

Be warned!!!

I only live 3 miles from a city. However I have no gas to the house, it is in the road if I want to pay £1500ish for a connection to the house. I'm not looking at an Italian or eastern European boiler, one from somewhere where they've been making them for 20+years, from a country where its the main form of heating. I'm aware they can have issues, the RHI more than makes up for any niggles.

The more of this interesting post I read the more amusing it becomes!

The OP has been quite rude and dismissive to many who have tried to help him.

He wants a system using perhaps the most complicated, expensive components and requiring fuel storage, deliveries, weekly user maintenance and as pointed out a warrantee delivery which will probably have significant delays in any repairs.

But he now tells us that for LESS cost he could have a mains gas supply, Vaillant or other mainstream boiler with a service engineer or agent in the town three miles away and a system which will carry on working for six months without human intervention on its automatic controls. He can use his new unvented cylinder which he already has. Total cost £1500 for gas supply and £2000 for boiler and install.

The gist of his requirement is good hot water delivery. But he does not appear to have bothered to have measured his mains water dynamic flow rate which is the first essential!

As an aside, the economics of wood pellets is interesting. With low demand they could be sourced from waste wood but that varies according to the manufacturing industries which produce waste. Having to use felled trees for the fuel supply is likely to greatly increase the cost.

Bit like using old chip shop oil for running your diesel cars. Good idea but the chip shop staff already do that and the demand for old oil exceeds supply!

Tony

The more of this interesting post I read the more amusing it becomes!

The OP has been quite rude and dismissive to many who have tried to help him.

He wants a system using perhaps the most complicated, expensive components and requiring fuel storage, deliveries, weekly user maintenance and as pointed out a warrantee delivery which will probably have significant delays in any repairs.

But he now tells us that for LESS cost he could have a mains gas supply, Vaillant or other mainstream boiler with a service engineer or agent in the town three miles away and a system which will carry on working for six months without human intervention on its automatic controls. He can use his new unvented cylinder which he already has. Total cost £1500 for gas supply and £2000 for boiler and install.

The gist of his requirement is good hot water delivery. But he does not appear to have bothered to have measured his mains water dynamic flow rate which is the first essential!

As an aside, the economics of wood pellets is interesting. With low demand they could be sourced from waste wood but that varies according to the manufacturing industries which produce waste. Having to use felled trees for the fuel supply is likely to greatly increase the cost.

Bit like using old chip shop oil for running your diesel cars. Good idea but the chip shop staff already do that and the demand for old oil exceeds supply!

Tony

Tony

I'm sorry you found me rude, if you actually read its just been a bit of harmless 2 way banter.

my flow rate off the new incoming is 18lpm at 5 bar. I get 3.8 bar with all taps open still. Thats on 15mm pipework and stopcock. on 22mm I should get 27lpm at 3 bar doing the maths. Hope that helps.

As before, why would I spend £3.5ish k on a gas boiler when I can get the rhi back which nets me 4k a year index linked for 7 years? Cheaper doesn't always make sense. Yes it costs more and needs cleaning out every 2 tonnes but everyone's got a price for a bit of hassle haven't they? Besides I love stuff like that and its not really a hassle. The boilers i'm looking at have spares in the UK and some of the best backup you can get.

If you were in the same position with a clean sheet what would you do?

But Tony....He's gonna get the RHI Tarriff aint he?

Generally speaking, I find that it is cheaper over the seven years to ignore the RHI and fit a cheaper boiler....There is a lot of song and dance about these fancy German boilers but like German cars, are made unreliable by their unnecessary overcomplication...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back