BIOS problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Uh-oh... I have a PC with Award BIOS.

On start-up, it shows the BIOS set-up with the message:

"The last time your PC booted, the system hung because the external CPU speed setting was incorrect. The system is now in safe mode with XXXX settings" (exact figures not noted)

It then goes on to advise that the settings should be corrected to ensure correct running of the PC.

Trouble is, the keyboard is not active, so I cannot alter the BIOS settings and I cannot get beyond this page.

Any ideas, please?

Sponsored Links
I assume pressing <DEL> to get into the BIOS setup has no effect??

<CTRL> <ALT> <ESC> may also work

I know you have said that the keyboard is not 'active' - any reason for that?

Which motherboard?
Just wondering if it is possible to set the speed via dip switches or jumpers on the motherboard.
If not, then on the motherboard somewhere there will be a button or a jumper for you to clear the bios back to default. When it is back at default you will need to detect hard disks etc before the machine will boot.

What type of keyboard e.g. wireless usb, PS2?

If it is PS2 are you sure it is connected correctly - purple connector keyboard, green for mouse?

If you can swap keyboard and try on another system (I think you have a few :D )

The message you are getting is typical of a system that incorrect overclocking has been attempted. The BIOS will automatically reset to a very conservative CPU speed to protect it.

When you do finally get into BIOS I suggest that you change the speed setting to manual if that option available

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies so far, guys.

Belboz...yeah, pressing any key has no effect.

I shall try a different keyboard. Failing that, I will dissect the machine & find out what MB it has.

Tony... incorrect overclocking has not been attemted, or at least not deliberately.

But my three boys have an incredible knack of burgering about with things by pressing buttons, so maybe they have changed a setting by sheer fluke.

EDIT:

Changing keyboards 3 times made no difference: and they all work when installed elsewhere.

Using Ctrl Alt Esc made no difference, either.

I shall post back when I find a pozi driver.... :confused:

Tony... incorrect overclocking has not been attemted, or at least not deliberately.
But my three boys have an incredible knack of burgering about with things by pressing buttons, so maybe they have changed a setting by sheer fluke.
I think it unlikely that BIOS could be affected by just pressing buttons within Windows - so unless you have got into BIOS screen and then made changes you will need to look elsewhere for the answer. When you open the PC check that memory modules, peripheral cards etc are seated correctly
EDIT:

Changing keyboards 3 times made no difference: and they all work when installed elsewhere.
So the keyboards were all PS2 not USB type?

Have just dismantled the PC.

Have checked cards are all well-seated.

Yes, keyboards were all PS2 type.

I'm thinking kids may have got into BIOS by mistake, then pressed loads of buttons, making a change somewhere...straws maybe....

MB is ASUS A7V.

Found at least 7 jumpers & a row of dipswitches, one module of 6 and one of 4.

The row of 6 are, from L -> R.......ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON, ON.

The row of 4 are all on.

Have found a MB manual. In the respect of this error message, it tells me nothing more than I already know: It describes exactly the fault I have, and explains that if that message appears, the user will be led to the BIOS to make adjustments, but it does not cater for frozen k/b syndrome!

The manual does say that the MB can be configured to JumperFree mode.

This would allow processor settings to be made through the BIOS. However, the dsw's would all have to be set to OFF.

Presumably this MB is not set to JFM as the dsw's are not all set to OFF, so I guess the processor settings could not have been altered via the BIOS.

Is that right?

I shall now reassemble the PC & see what happens.....

Hey Presto!

I write this from the once-stricken PC!

Must've been a loose card....however, why a loose card causes an overclocking error message, I'm not quite sure... ;)

Must've been a loose card....however, why a loose card causes an overclocking error message, I'm not quite sure... ;)
FWIW The BIOS is not that intelligent :) so it lumps the error in the nearest available error box :D
Pleased you got it sorted anyway

Sponsored Links
Back