Birch plywood office table top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get some advice and help with a made to measure table top for a studio/office in our spare room.

We would like to use something like birch plywood (laminated?).

Firstly, unsure where to buy from and secondly how easy is it to work with – need to cut around a chimney breast so that it spans the width of the room.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Daryl

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd be looking at a custom sized work or bar top.....would that be acceptable?
The ply would need to be thick or reinforced and lipped to give a neat edge.
John :)

Thanks for your reply John.

Do you mean adapting a say formica/chipboard kitchen top?

We were looking at birch ply say 18–25mm with batons and a central support. The table/desk would span 3300mm. Do you think this wouldn't work?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge I am trying to get into doing some woodwork around the house – starting from scratch.

Thanks

Daryl

Certainly I'd be looking around to see if there's a timber top thats suitable.....all of the big sheds have them, as does Ikea.
The weight is considerable though so go for a delivery service.
There's nothing particularly wrong with your original ply suggestion, but raw edges look poor, hence the need for a lipping edge.
You may need two peg legs instead of one - depending on the weight envisaged....a solid top would need only one whereas a thinner top would tend to bend a bit. Any method requires support along the back and edges.
The way I look at it - and its only my opinion - is that a traditional timber top would look professional in your home / office.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again John for your reply. I think it's a good idea to go around some of the local timber yards and look at other options.

Is there an easy way of finish off the edges on birch ply special tool etc?

Daryl

The best edge will come from the full sheet, Daryl, where it has been cut by a machine.
A DIY shed such as Wickes etc will cut the sheet to size for you - they won't do cut outs and the like but will cut to length and width.
For a lipping I prefer not to use nails or screws, but rather sash cramps and glue so theres little evidence.
Raw edges - even smooth ones - give a strictly DIY appearance, but of course thats up to you.
Good luck with your project!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back