Bird flu panic

oilman said:
Bird flu panic

As soon as I read this, I was so distressed I ran round the garden 50 times, then some b*****d started shooting at me....

I've not got it, have I?

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
oilman said:
Bird flu panic

As soon as I read this, I was so distressed I ran round the garden 50 times, then some b*stard started shooting at me....

I've not got it, have I?

Now you come to mention it ... :eek:

There are a lot of people over here who are at risk of being killed or hospitalised such as diabetics etc and i think it's directed more at these people to be aware and to get their jabs in quick but there is concern that all might have to have innoculations if necessary, better to be cautious than not.

kendor said:
There are a lot of people over here who are at risk of being killed or hospitalised such as diabetics etc
The same as MRSA in which this government haven't done anything about it, killing 5-6000 people per year, so what hope have we got with the bird flu?

Sponsored Links
So far as the reporting is done responsibly then I don't see there is an issue over the reporting.

At this moment in time there is no real threat unless you handle the birds that are infected, however this could mutate but avian flu virus mutations are difficult and not common.

There is little that can be done in preparation except do what governments are doing...only when or if the virus mutates can we start to take action to truly protect the human population.

oilman said:
Not changing the subject, it's just a comparison, but isn't MRSA killing hundreds of times more people in this country every year than bird flu has killed worldwide? What have we got for that? alcohol gel to rub on your hands. Can you trust the government to deal with this one too?

Yet another one is tuberulosis, an insidious but not so spectacular disease, but kills quite a few.

Back to the original post, this seems like another media generated panic, like the petrol shortage.

WOLF! WOLF!....................

Completely agree. I do think we all need informing of these things, but not to be scared silly. Asia is one hell of a huge continent, and for only 60 to die is just a spit in the ocean, not a panic. I know that sounds awful, no one likes to hear of, or see death, but unfortunately that's just life, or death.

Yes, but it's the mortality rates that are worrying. People die of all flu strains, but when you've got nearly 50% of those who come down with flu dying... THAT is the worry.

On the positive side, perhaps the risk of being shoved into a wheelie bin by a bloke in a biohazard suit will stop all those mincers who swear blind they have flu every time they have a mild cold? :rolleyes:

littlemissstroppyknickers said:
Completely agree. I do think we all need informing of these things, but not to be scared silly..

Who's scared silly? I'm not, are you?

The notion of an animal virus ‘jumping’ the species barrier is possible indeed.

The AIDS virus is actually believed to have very likely jumped from the green monkey population in Africa to establish a new host in humans. And measles is believed to have originally come from a virus (canine distemper) which normally only infects dogs.

These changes are NOT evolution. This sort of change is simply not capable in principle of generating even one small step along the assumed path of ameba-to-astronomer biological change (i.e. up the ladder of evolution, or adding information to the gene pool).

Merely demonstrating ‘change’ is not enough to demonstrate the reality of the evolutionary history of life on earth. Bacteria can change to become antibiotic resistant, for instance, but such changes result from a loss of information.

Unfortunately, the words being used to describe the feared change in the virus, such as ‘mutate’ and ‘evolve’ carry with them all sorts of Darwinian baggage. This will become especially pointed if the dreaded change does eventuate. Viruses, like actual living things, do mutate (the term is properly applied) and change. The issue is, as always, not to be misled by the ‘psychological link’ between such terms and the idea that pond scum has turned into pelicans and politicians. ;)

HGPgal said:
The notion of an animal virus ‘jumping’ the species barrier is possible indeed.

The AIDS virus is actually believed to have very likely jumped from the green monkey population in Africa to establish a new host in humans. And measles is believed to have originally come from a virus (canine distemper) which normally only infects dogs.

These changes are NOT evolution. This sort of change is simply not capable in principle of generating even one small step along the assumed path of ameba-to-astronomer biological change (i.e. up the ladder of evolution, or adding information to the gene pool).

Merely demonstrating ‘change’ is not enough to demonstrate the reality of the evolutionary history of life on earth. Bacteria can change to become antibiotic resistant, for instance, but such changes result from a loss of information.

Unfortunately, the words being used to describe the feared change in the virus, such as ‘mutate’ and ‘evolve’ carry with them all sorts of Darwinian baggage. This will become especially pointed if the dreaded change does eventuate. Viruses, like actual living things, do mutate (the term is properly applied) and change. The issue is, as always, not to be misled by the ‘psychological link’ between such terms and the idea that pond scum has turned into pelicans and politicians. ;)

No-one here mentioned the word 'evolve'. If the virus jumps to humans what's the point in discussing which is the correct word to use?

I thought that all life evolved from pond-scum anyway, including penguins and politicians?

So if you`re involved in "activities" with chickens or green monkeys.watch out :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Avian flu isn't a joke. There was a proggie on National Geographic channel the other night.
Pigs are able to catch both bird and human flu at the same time. The viruses are then able to pass genetic material making bird flu as easy to catch as human flu. The problem is that our immune systems won't recognise the virus. By the time it does it is too late. The lungs will be filled with holes from dead cells allowing fluid to enter - in other words - double pneumonia.
It's extremely serious should this happen.
Avian flu is known to kill 3 out of 4 who catch it in just 3 days after the symptoms appear. If the strain is as easy to catch as human flu (after the mutation) then 1 out of 4 of us will catch it. In the UK, that means:

60 million divided by 4 = 15 million catch it.

3 out of 4 die = 15/4 = 3.75 million deaths.

Remember, the Spanish flu of 1918 killed up to 100 million people.

With air flights and mobile people this flu could be the biggest killer in history.

It could happen - it really could.

joe

Never mind, worse is coming (and it's not a disease).

Sponsored Links
Back