Flu Shots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has been talked about on here before, but I've never personally encountered any issues with the subject before, so, rather than drag up an old thread, I've posted this one.

We all know about the flu jab, and that it is the elderly and vulnerable that are generally encouraged to get it in the UK, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe that it is now available for anyone over there to get if they pay for it?

My wife is a nurse here in the US and MUST get the shot as part of her contract - is this the same for doctors/nurses in the UK?

My issue is that, every year she gets it and always ends up with a cough/cold within a week. We are always told that it can't be the vaccination because it doesn't contain the live flu virus and that it is just coincidence that a cold arrives at the same time. Many people believe that it is the jab that causes it, myself included, due to the fact that everyone I know who has it tends to get some form of cold immediately afterwards, so I have never had it. Tragically, my mother's best friend came down with a chest infection and died last week, just over a week after getting her flu jab.

Last week, my wife had it and again was hit with a bad cold meaning she had to take time off work. This week I have come down with a pretty bad cough and cold, forcing me to take time off. Colds don't usually stop me from working but this one has, mainly because of a constantly running nose and the fact I'm working around elderly people at the moment.

Presumably, it is my wife that has passed it to me (unless it's another coincidence!), which makes question the benefits of getting a flu shot if people end up taking time off work, need to see doctors, purchase more medicines, etc?

Is it just a conspiracy to benefit healthcare/pharmaceutical companies, especially if you consider that, over here, people of all ages are encouraged to get the shot, and (subsequent) healthcare is paid for directly by the patient/their insurance?? :unsure::cautious:

Sponsored Links
The list of who gets a free jab is quite long. Have it every year so does SWMBO and neither of us have any side effects. Well apart from the wife's arm hurting for a few days.

Have had it every year for past 7 years.

Could the Yanks be adding a little something to theirs? :censored:

I believe that health workers in the UK get the shot, yes.

Vulnerable people get it (me included). The NHS says the following:

You are eligible to receive a free flu jab if you:

• are 65 years of age or over
  • are pregnant
  • have certain medical conditions
  • are very overweight
  • are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
  • receive a carer's allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
  • are a front-line health and social care worker. It is your employer's responsibility to arrange vaccination for you

FWIW, I have never had a cold after the jab.

The Mrs gets it free as she suffers from asthma, the mother in law and the Mrs both suffering now quite bad with heavy colds within days of the jab, its been the same ever since the inception of the jab, there must be something it.

Edit. Forgot to mention I've not had the jab infact never have had so how come I haven't caught the cold from the mrs............think about that!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Could the Yanks be adding a little something to theirs? :censored:

I don't think it's that because most of the people I know who get the flu jab are in the UK and are elderly (relatives and my mother's friends) and pretty much all of them have suffered from some symptoms over the years. I've only lived here for the past two flu seasons and can say that most people I know here, who get the shot, come down with some form of cold too.

It just seems too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence to me.

I am eligible for it but like my asthma preventative inhaler that contains steriods do I really want it?
I have not had my medicine for the past 2 years or the flue jab and I'm fine ta.

I work for the NHS and we can get the flu jab free of charge, but,,, it's completely voluntary. I had mine three weeks ago and had to have a few shifts off work due to (what I believe) are the effects of the flu vaccine. Within a few days I had a terrible cough and was running a temperature of 38.5c. As I'm in almost constant contact with patients, their health has to be my main consideration. A few of my colleagues have had their flu jabs and too were a bit under the weather a few days after.
Apparently, this years vaccine is what they call a dead vaccine. (used to be a weak, live vaccine ) but still seems to cause these side effects. At least if I get the flu later on in the flu season, my symptoms should be lessened. (just as long as those who developed this years vaccine have got the mix of flu types right) (last year they got it wrong, with the prevalent type being one they missed)

At least if I get the flu later on in the flu season, my symptoms should be lessened. (just as long as those who developed this years vaccine have got the mix of flu types right) (last year they got it wrong, with the prevalent type being one they missed)

That is something I failed to mention in my initial post. Apparently, because I'm no medical expert, every cold or bout of flu that you get is said to be a new strain because your systems own defences become immune to the ones you have had previously. Therefore, if you are given a vaccine for a virus that you may have already had, surely you wouldn't become sick with it, so does this account for the people who are fine after their jabs?

I wouldn't live in any country where I'm forced to have it

Just to make it clear - nobody forces anyone to have it here, but it is encouraged for all. I know I said my wife, and other medical staff, must have it, but that is only as part of their contracts which they knowingly sign - it's their choice if they want to accept a job on those terms.

I am diabetic and whenever I go for my routine annual checkups the sister implores me to have the free flu jab.
I never have had and I always politely refuse as I have heard stories of people having the jab and feeling flu symptoms afterwards.
This has been going on for years now. Every year, "Oh you really MUST have the flu jab - I can give you it right now if you want"! Despite never having had the jab, I have never had flu - bad colds and even man-flu, yes. Perhaps now, my having got on my high horse, I shall contract it!

I am diabetic and whenever I go for my routine annual checkups the sister implores me to have the free flu jab.
I never have had and I always politely refuse as I have heard stories of people having the jab and feeling flu symptoms afterwards.
This has been going on for years now. Every year, "Oh you really MUST have the flu jab - I can give you it right now if you want"! Despite never having had the jab, I have never had flu - bad colds and even man-flu, yes. Perhaps now, my having got on my high horse, I shall contract it!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't contract it!

My mother is 82 and always politely refuses it too because of the symptoms others get.

I've had real full blown flu twice, the worst of which I wouldn't wish on anyone. My GP described it as 'infected flu' where I had a headache so bad I couldn't lift my head off the pillow, conjunctivitis in both eyes, a completely ulcerated throat and what appeared to be cuts all over the inside of my mouth, an upset stomach, not to mention the general fever/chills and body aches. I didn't eat for over a week and could only take sips of water, lost over a stone in weight, had to stay in bed for two weeks and was off work for almost a month. At one point, I honestly thought I wasn't going to see the next day. All that, plus I missed my Christmas dinner and had to watch all those poor animals suffering on the Animal Hospital Christmas Special!

Come to think of it, maybe the flu shot isn't such a bad idea after all!! o_O

The immune system is a complicated beast. In studies, the number of people displaying cold/flu like symptoms after having a salt water injection (instead of a flu jab) was not significantly different to those that had the actual vaccine. That suggests some sort of placebo type reaction.

Other reasons could include that the activation of the immune system by the flu virus (even if dead or attenuated) can mimic a cold, as the body activates its defenses to try and get rid of the virus (coughing, runny nose etc). Plus, nosocomial reasons- you tend to get flu jabs in places there are alot of sick people (Drs surgeries, pharmacies etc) so you are likely to pick up bugs in these places.

Sponsored Links
Back