FLU - 2 Weeks On, Still Not Completely Cleared.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What sort of flu is this?

Started feeling unwell in the pub on Xmas Eve. Feeling a bit weak, not really interested in the beer. Left at 8.30pm, and was soon in bed.

Went downhill from there. Xmas didn't happen for me. Chest full of mucus, really bad cough, trouble breathing at night, night sweats, the trots, headaches that lasted for days, constipation, shivers, high temperature, loss of appetite, dehydration, zero energy, bad sinuses, etc, etc.

Well, Xmas Eve was 2 weeks ago, and although I'm better, I still have the bad chest/cough, lack of appetite and low energy.

Has anyone else had this? Usually flu lasts a couple of days. Is this super-man flu? How long before it clears? WTF was it?

Getting a bit bored with it now!!

Sponsored Links
Don't worry it will be over in about another 3 weeks, thats how long it took me and a few other people I know of, honest :(

yes got mine the same day. been back for more amoxicillin. lucky i had the flu jab as it would have been worse

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've got 'real' flu Whitespirit. Far to many people get a heavy cold and start spouting off that they've got flu. If they had flu they'd not have the energy to spout off about how ill they are, they'd be in bed.

Don't want to worry you Whitespirit but I know a woman (33 years old), who had flu with a bad chest infection that lasted for 3 months! She had all sorts of antibiotics etc. She's only just started feeling/looking better. She looked like death warmed up before that!

SAVES YOU FROM HAVING TO GO ON A DIET!

Too bloody right! Lost over a stone! :eek: Also, can't face ciggies either. Think this might be my chance to kick the weed.

MERLIN50. Should I go to the quack. Did the Amoxcillin do any good? What else should I try?

Sounds like you've got 'real' flu Whitespirit. Far to many people get a heavy cold and start spouting off that they've got flu. If they had flu they'd not have the energy to spout off about how ill they are, they'd be in bed.

Don't want to worry you Whitespirit but I know a woman (33 years old), who had flu with a bad chest infection that lasted for 3 months! She had all sorts of antibiotics etc. She's only just started feeling/looking better. She looked like death warmed up before that!

Thanks Blasphemous. If the chest isn't better by Monday, think I will get along to the quack. If I'm still here! :eek:

What sort of flu is this?

Started feeling unwell in the pub on Xmas Eve. Feeling a bit weak, not really interested in the beer. Left at 8.30pm, and was soon in bed.

Went downhill from there. Xmas didn't happen for me. Chest full of mucus, really bad cough, trouble breathing at night, night sweats, the trots, headaches that lasted for days, constipation, shivers, high temperature, loss of appetite, dehydration, zero energy, bad sinuses, etc, etc.

Well, Xmas Eve was 2 weeks ago, and although I'm better, I still have the bad chest/cough, lack of appetite and low energy.

Has anyone else had this? Usually flu lasts a couple of days. Is this super-man flu? How long before it clears? WTF was it?

Getting a bit bored with it now!!
I went South on the 11 of December, was in bed for three days, then has a torso full of mucus for two weeks solid. I am still coughing a little at night but am on the mend.

I would say that this bout of flu will take a month to fully clear.

A very accurate post. A lot of people suffer from a bad cold and assume its flu. Its not.
Influenza (and it don't have to go 'oink oink') is a real killer.

I've had flu twice in my life and in both occasions I could literally only get out of bed after 2 weeks. Even then, I needed help as I was so weak from not eating and living off water and as much lucozade I could drink.

Hallucuinations were common too - with a body temp of 104. Double vision for best part of a week once I had the strength to get out of bed. The searing headache pain is not something you forget in a long time.

I've not had it for 10 years now and I hope its becuase I have built an immunity to it, but I know my little girl (aged 6) will have it at some point so I'm thinking of going down the vaccine route with her.

My only bug bear is that within 7 days of her MMR jab she was in hospital with meningitus and I cant help but think the jab was responsible for that - but thats another discussion.

Mr. W.

Manflu is a terrible, terrible thing. :rolleyes:

misterdubya said:
My only bug bear is that within 7 days of her MMR jab she was in hospital with meningitus and I cant help but think the jab was responsible for that - but thats another discussion.

Mr. W.

Don't be daft. Meningitis is a bacteria and flu is a virus. Yes I know you can get viral meningitis but that is usually caused by the Genital Herpes virus and it's not serious enough for hospitalisation.

The Missus got something simular, but she was throwing up too.
Christmas Day was canceled, I took her to the emergancy doctors on the bank holiday Monday, she was in a right state, put it down to a chest infection and gave her amoxicillin.
She is only just starting to come round, but still coughing.

I had pig flu (probably) last winter, pretty bad, after my temperature shot up I was given ?Tamiflu? and felt a lot better within a day. After a couple of days I was fit to potter about the house, just feeling tired.

I had a glass of merlot last night.
I woke up this morning with a headache, cough and a sniffle. I think it's wine flu.

Sponsored Links
Back