Under 70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I am not 70 until June can I isolate for 12 weeks I am a key worker and work full time
My wife and a brain abscess a few years ago and has a 88 year old mother
And is worried ( so am I ) that I may contact the virus I work in London
I do have the flu jab every year buy don’t have any heath problems
Thanks PM

Sponsored Links
Technically as I understand the criteria you don't qualify as increased or higher risk. Your wife might qualify if she's on some medication but even then that doesnt mean that you are advised to stay home.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Having said that, being three months short of 70 is only a technicality. I'd ask your employer to allow you to self isolate and cover your pay as a furloughed employee. Unless you're absolutely vital I'd hope they'll agree. You're also at Pensionable age, now might be a good time to consider retirement.

Your wife might qualify if she's on some medication but even then that doesnt mean that you are advised to stay home.

thats the difficulty, if your wife is in an 'at risk group' she should self isolate, in which case she should be isolated from you, if you are not isolated.

thats the difficulty, if your wife is in an 'at risk group' she should self isolate, in which case she should be isolated from you, if you are not isolated.
Which is nearly impossible for most people who live together. But the logic is pretty straight forward (if harsh), losing key workers who are higher risk to self isolation is a blow to the workforce. Losing key workers who have higher risk relatives or housemates would be even harder to manage. :(

Sponsored Links
Which is nearly impossible for most people who live together. But the logic is pretty straight forward (if harsh), losing key workers who are higher risk to self isolation is a blow to the workforce. Losing key workers who have higher risk relatives or housemates would be even harder to manage. :(

I know, my wife and I have been discussing what to do if either get symptoms -self isolating seems pretty impossible really for people who live together.

on another note, in Brighton there are lots of NHS workers, radiographers, nurses, doctors etc etc who live in shared houses -there are lots of instances where 1 has got symptoms causing 3 more to be forced to self isolate.

Hi All, I am not 70 until June can I isolate for 12 weeks I am a key worker and work full time
My wife and a brain abscess a few years ago and has a 88 year old mother
And is worried ( so am I ) that I may contact the virus I work in London
I do have the flu jab every year buy don’t have any heath problems
Thanks PM
is it worth the risk not self isolating?
I am a few years your junior but this virus is very worrying and as such both me and the wife who are both fit and well are self isolating until the peak is over and hospitals are coping. We're all going to be exposed to it sooner or later, but as I see it best keep that moment until the NHS have better understanding, better treatments and are not overloaded.
We're having absolutely no contact with anybody and keeping well away from others. shopping for food is the only risk we're taking but I guess it is a must

Back