Bird Nesting Boxes - Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a couple of nesting boxes in the garden and I have read that they need to face in a certain direction.

Could anyone advise what that direction is please ?

Sponsored Links
make sure you get a box with the coerect size hole, blue TITS must have a 25mm hole and no bigger

Sponsored Links
Well, in the absence of comment I've visited the RSPB website.

Yes I know, should have thought of that first :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Apparently it should face between North and East - Quite a range really, I thought they would be more definite than that.

Anyway at least the cats and magpies won't get at them this year once I've bought the nesting boxes. :D :D :D

as i said not facing the sun, check the hole size when you buy them

Direction is important but also:

Ensure your nest box is sheltered from prevailing wind, rain and strong sunlight – these factors are generally much more important than the compass direction in which the box faces.

I took that from the site National Nest Box Week lots of info on there...
maybe make them a little umberella :)

Thanks, I'll try that website.

I had two lots nesting last year on the top of the fence and in the Hedge, but we had problems with other birds and I think the local cats and they fled before the chicks hatched.

I'll probably try putting the boxes as close to where they nested last year facing towards north East. :D :D

Direction is important but also:

Ensure your nest box is sheltered from prevailing wind, rain and strong sunlight – these factors are generally much more important than the compass direction in which the box faces.

My bird box faces west which is the prevailing wind and rain here and it doesn't have no affect on the blue tits.

Thanks Susan, but I'm not sure how relevant that information is, since the prevailing wind direction in Manchester UK may well be significantly different to that in Massachusetts. :D

Mine is facing west. I have a little umbrella on it, which I use occasionally. The hole size is around 2” in dia and I have some plants very near to it, so the birdies can get natural environment. :)

a bird box with a 2" hole is a magpie feeder

Interesting comments on here. First, hole size, all recomendations are 25mm (1" in old money) but I have 3 boxes that all started with 25mm holes until the blue tits pecked away at them until they were nearer 30mm. Are the experts wrong or do we have fat blue tits in Cornwall. Secondly, direction of boxes, one faces North, the other two West in full sun. All three occupied!

Interesting comments on here. First, hole size, all recomendations are 25mm (1" in old money) but I have 3 boxes that all started with 25mm holes until the blue **** pecked away at them until they were nearer 30mm. Are the experts wrong or do we have fat blue **** in Cornwall. Secondly, direction of boxes, one faces North, the other two West in full sun. All three occupied!

its the great t.i.t.s that make the hole bigger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back