Hedgcutting and birds nests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been cutting hedge when I came across a birds nest. Suddenly heard a squarking noise (although did have ear defenders on) and feared it was the mother? Will they attack you and go for your eyes?
15613837071705275728939956443305.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Been watching too many Hitchcock films, however, if you really need to cut your hedge then I would suggest a 'selective light' trim with a pair of hand held shears or secateurs for the straggly/long pieces and leave the main body until the birds no longer use the nest.
Imagine you were camping in a field and the farmer came along with his combine harvester. This is what it would feel like to a bird when you get your hedge trimmer out.

apart from snipping off some straggly pieces with hand held clippers you should leave hedges alone from 1st March thru 1st September.

Do remember many birds species are in massive decline, a quarter of all UK bird species are "Red Listed" which means the first signs that they are heading for extinction is noted. We're loosing our birds

The nest was above the high part of the wall in picture so worried would step back and fall.

Yep same advice, leave hedges alone during nesting season, advise any clients as to why.

We have crows nesting in a tree thats not native to our shores. But it is the tallest at that end of the field.

About right, yeah.

So no hedges should be cut until September 1st!!! I'm always asked to cut stuff before then. It's hard to know where they're nesting and not. Small bushes that you can see into obviously u can see there's nothing in there. I guess it's common sense

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back