Bird's nest in top of pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bird (blue tit) is making a nest in the downpipe that takes our toilet waste. The pipe used to have a cap but it blew off during the winter. The nest is presumably quite near the top (where the pipe turns before dropping in a straight line) and the toilet outlet is quite a way down from that. Would you just ignore this? If it does fall it will be leaves and small twigs which won't block the pipe. I think that when it does eventually rain the bird might move on anyway as at the moment it has a nice dry home. Has anyone here seen this before?

Sponsored Links
Lucky you being chosen by them to raise their young for this year although not the most convenient spot for you:)
Bluetits usually consruct a nest from moss which is lined with hair and feathers .
In a comparatively large space like the soil pipe I would have thought it would need to rest on something to begin building off.
Its illegal to disturb nesting birds so I would wait for them to fledge then from below, push rods up , eject the old nest out and replace the cap ...if however, it caused a blockage you would have to take appropriate action.

If it does fall it will be.....
Blue tit meets Tom tit. :eek:

Seriously though, Mrs Mottie bought me a bird box with a cctv camera in it for Christmas so that I could watch the birds nesting in it. So far, nothing but I live in hope.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back